Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Selecting a TV Tuner Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2011 5:58:22 AM

I need a digital TV tuner card (needs to be PCIe x1) that will let me watch TV through windows media center, and maybe plug in some type of HDMI input and record from the input (if possible). I was looking at a ATI TV Wonder card, but I have no idea whats good in this type of thing. The biggest thing is that it needs to have a digital converter on it, so I don't have to use the stupid little suddenlink conversion box. (I want to be able to get the normal 99 channels straight with the card from the wall, like modern digital TV's do with their built in digital TV tuners). This is for my bed room so i just want the basic channels, I have the HD DVR box out in my living room, but I want to be able to use the card to re-record any shows from the DVR that I want to keep, using like an HDMI input, same with recording xbox gameplay or something like that.

My PC is able to handle whatever, my current TV tuner card just isn't a digital tuner (I recycled it from an old computer) and its in a PCIex1 slot, which is really the only one available. (See Below for specs and board layout)

BOARD LAYOUT:
--- PCIex1 (Free)
-------- PCIex16 (HD5770)
--- PCIex1 (HD5770 overlap)
--- PCIex1 (Current TV Card)
-------- PCIex16 (Second HD5770)
----- PCI (Second HD5770 overlap)
----- PCI (Serial Adapter Card)

SPECS:
Intel Quad Core Q6600 OC to 3.717Ghz
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
2xHD5770
4x500GB HDD - RAID0
1x1TB HDD Backup
1x2TB External Storage

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any more info

EDIT: I'm running windows 7 home premium, so I will be using windows media center.

EDIT2: The card I have now gives me channels 1-19, 56 and 98. These are like the local info channels. I want to be able to get all the basic cable channels I pay for.

EDIT3: I have found that my current card is a vixs puretv-u 4899 (NTSC/ATSC Combo)... so im guessing it cant pick up the clear-qam channels?

More about : selecting tuner card

April 11, 2011 6:23:13 AM

leon2006 said:
Hauppage 2250... I had it for ~ 3 years now. Very stable HW and SW. Works well with Windows Media Center. Or its WinTV7 Tv software is also very stable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has a digital tuner? And what about plugging in some for of HDMI or HD input for recording off of xbox or ps3, that type of thing? It looks like it only has S-video or analog component inputs
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2011 2:16:57 PM

leon2006 said:
Capture card with HDMI....
This is a new one from hauppage. Its also available at newegg

http://www.hauppage.com/site/products/data_colossus.htm...

well but is there no luck of having both on one card? I mean i could get away with composite input on the 2250 from xbox and stuff, its just standard definition
m
l
a b x TV
April 11, 2011 3:16:16 PM

Its Marketing... May be in the future... These companies are milking us like cows
m
l

Best solution

a b x TV
April 12, 2011 11:41:18 PM

Yes ... It will get Digital Channels in 1080i (HD , Clear QAM or un-scrambled channel). It will also get the standard Analog Channels.

2250 has 2 Tuners that can operate as both Digital, One Digital, One Analog or Both Analog
April 13, 2011 12:27:13 AM

Best answer selected by Bukowskaii.
m
l
April 13, 2011 12:27:35 AM

leon2006 said:
Yes ... It will get Digital Channels in 1080i (HD , Clear QAM or un-scrambled channel). It will also get the standard Analog Channels.

2250 has 2 Tuners that can operate as both Digital, One Digital, One Analog or Both Analog

Well that sounds perfect to me! Thanks a bunch man
m
l
!