Computer fails to start up at all

citroen_ds

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello,
My system was running at 100% cpu frequently--according to system explorer and the task manager, it was not any particular task, but the system itself. I would often reboot just to be able to work normally. Now it has crashed and won't boot even from a windows xp boot disc. You can hear the computer doing something and the cd light flashes ect...,but the screen remains black. Before it got to this state: it would try to start, but get hung on the windows screen: then it wouldn't boot at all even in safe mode when I was able to get that far in the start-up. I have tried a linix based boot disk as well to no avail: I also tried removing the (cmos?) battery for 20 minutes or so--It didn't work. Is there anything else I can do? It is a HP Pavillion 1410n Media Centre. What could be the cause?

It is almost impossible to be sure, but if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on motherboard failure, with partial CPU failure a close second. With GPU failure you would normally find it does boot to Windows (even though the screen stays black) and you can still remote desktop to the PC, see it on the network etc. RAM failure usually gives BSODs or freezing, and system beeps on polling (in the case of total RAM malfunction or poorly seated sticks).

Have a close look at the mobo, and check for blown or deformed caps (particularly around the CPU), blackened components etc.

Corning

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Unless you have all the diagnostic equipment to check each individual part your system is trashed throw it away and build a new one.

I only suggest this because I’ve had the similar thing happen to me, the power supply partially failed, fried the MB, CPU and video card.

Your rig is 3-4 years old? Probably time to buy a new one any way. If it’s newer you could bring it into a shop who can check the individual parts but you will have to pay for this service.