Alternative to embedded sound card?

gganault

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Hello

The RealTek embedded on my old ASUSTeK M2N68-AM Plus mob doesn't work well when I'm using a microphone (SIP connections): The mike level is too low, but XLite doesn't like it if I raise the volume.

I did upgrade the sound driver, but no change.

I don't have much use of the sound card otherwise, so don't want to spend too much money on this, and I was wondering whether to get a PCI card or a USB "card".

Any hands-on recommendation appreciated.

Thank you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Either a stand-alone PCI or PCIe sound card will work, as will a USB version. Personally, I am not a big fan of USB dongles. I would recommend you look at the Sound Blaster x-Fi series. What is your budget?

For under $50, the ASUS Xonar DS and ASUS Xonar DG basically blow everything away. An Audigy series card, the Extreme Audio [which is a re-branded Audigy anyway] or the ExtremeGamer isn't even worth considering anymore.

gganault

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for the tip. I don't play games, it's just for MP3's and SIP connections, so it looks like the Sound Blaster should be good enough, as long as the microphone gain is loud enough.

gganault

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007

What's wrong with the Creative Sound Blasters?

Again, I really don't need a gamer-level sound card, which is clearly overkill for my needs.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

I totally agree. The Xonar DG goes for under $30 shipped. An awesome PCI card. Also has a headphone amp, big plus.