Sign in with
Your question

560 ti with 8800gt for physx problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 11, 2011 10:25:57 AM

I recently got a new 560 ti msi and i have an old 8800 gt msi. I used the card alone for a week no problems using old drivers then i poped in the 8800 gt as a physx card worked at first then started getting game freezing in Crysis 2, Darksiders, Amnesia, Starcraft 2. I tried using new drivers for the 560 til, and then original ones that came factory, and then the betas...nothing worked.

Setup
780i sli main board
Q6600 quad core 2
8 gigs patriot ram
950 corsair psu
HAF cooler master case
Windows 7 64bit(was using vista 64 and had the problems now on 7 same thing..)

I need instructions on how to properly put the drivers simultaneously so they work or if these cards just dont work together or not.
The drivers show up on the device manager for the seperate cards but in the unistal menu it shows which ever nvidia driver i put last (meaning i put the 560 ti drivers then had to reboot to put the 8800 gt on cuse it wouldnt let me until i booted the computer) I really would like to use both cards so if you have any advice that would be great.
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 11, 2011 10:38:33 AM

uninstall the nvidia drivers. shut down. put both cards in. main card with monitor attached. reboot. install drivers. should work right off the bat. if not, open nvidia control panel and choose the 8800 as physx .
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 11:42:17 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Of the games you listed none of them support GPU acceleration with the possible exception of Crysis 2. (The first didn't support it, I haven't paid any attention as to whether #2 does or not.) Basically that 8800GT is doing nothing other then emitting heat and using electricity.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 12:41:43 PM

If the game doesn't take advantage of physx then there is no gain second not every system is going to be enough for a dedicated card. System i/o and cpu bottlenecks are even worse than normal sli and crossfire when having a dedicated card so not every one has the best experience as a result. 775 systems in general typically don't do so well and with your single gtx 560 ti you are pushing as it is. I also own a xfx 780i and I can say this that you are better off taking the 8800gt out and keeping it as backup than a dedicated physx. If it were not for weaknesses in 775 systems you would have had more or less a normal game play experience with unaffected fps in games that don't support physx while those that use it would have seen gains.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 11, 2011 5:47:33 PM

4745454b said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Of the games you listed none of them support GPU acceleration with the possible exception of Crysis 2. (The first didn't support it, I haven't paid any attention as to whether #2 does or not.) Basically that 8800GT is doing nothing other then emitting heat and using electricity.

I get no PhysX indicators coming up when Crysis 2 is run.
m
l
!