Best $200 range

Alright, well, simply, I was hoping to get this barebones kit: http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=176348&Sku=B69-1312

And I was wondering what's the best $200 range card? I was debating between the 6950 (which I'll be flashing to 6970) (The 2GB model, so something like this - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7192166&CatId=7005 ) and my friends been telling me to get one of those "Super OC" GTX 460s for $210. I'm all about bang for buck, but I'd really love to do 3 monitors in the future so am not sure. Also, I'd like to be able to play games at max settings (Homefront/L4D/TF2/Portal 2/Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood) and record them on FRAPS without a noticeable fps drop - thus why I would want a 2GB 6950. Finally, I want to be able to emulate anything from PS2 and Gamecube and before (Wii too) at fullspeed, however that's probably mostly from the CPU which the 2600k would probably beast at.

Thanks,
Brian
20 answers Last reply
More about best range
  1. 210$ for SOC GTX 460?!??! that's an overkill for that card, you can find a HD6870 for lower price, and it'll not come even close for the more or less the same price HD6950 1GB, you probably can find a cheaper 6950 on newegg, if you want 3 monitors so bad then definately you'll need 2GB of VRAM and also it'll help with FRAPS, also if you're about to OC or even flash the 6950 it'll be best bang for buck atm, but probably you can't flash the MSI 6950, just for the record: you can only flash 2GB 6950
  2. shrkbay said:
    210$ for SOC GTX 460?!??! that's an overkill for that card, you can find a HD6870 for lower price, and it'll not come even close for the more or less the same price HD6950 1GB, you probably can find a cheaper 6950 on newegg, if you want 3 monitors so bad then definately you'll need 2GB of VRAM and also it'll help with FRAPS, also if you're about to OC or even flash the 6950 it'll be best bang for buck atm, but probably you can't flash the MSI 6950, just for the record: you can only flash 2GB 6950


    Yeah - I wanted a 2GB 6950 anyways. What manufacturer would you most recommend for that barebones kit psu and case?
  3. Ultra power supplys are crap for that reason alone I would not buy that barebones kit
  4. not sure where your getting the 460 info from but....

    if you are getting such a nice cpu you should at LEAST get a 6950 2 gig or better, I mean that thing is really freakin fast, you want a balanced system so I would spend a few bucks more on the gpu to round it off (maybe just bump it up to a 6970 or gtx 580), but the 6950 2 gig will also serve you well, it will be a sick ~1000 gaming rig
  5. jjb8675309 said:
    not sure where your getting the 460 info from but....

    if you are getting such a nice cpu you should at LEAST get a 6950 2 gig or better, I mean that thing is really freakin fast, you want a balanced system so I would spend a few bucks more on the gpu to round it off (maybe just bump it up to a 6970 or gtx 580), but the 6950 2 gig will also serve you well, it will be a sick ~1000 gaming rig


    Awesome :D any barebone kits you could forward me to then? Or just give me a general list of parts I'll need. Sorry - first time building :P
  6. You should buy every individual part seperatly.You loose lots of money on bad parts when you get barbone kits.Do you have any hardware from previous computers you can salavage?(harddrive,CD drives, etc.)

    I would also agree the 2G 6950 is the best card for what your trying to do and it will max out all of the games your trying to play.As for the eyefinity setup you might get away with 50-60 FPS with those games,definitly not gonna be maxing out any newer games with just a sinlge 6950 in eyefinity.
  7. purple stank said:
    You should buy every individual part seperatly.You loose lots of money on bad parts when you get barbone kits.Do you have any hardware from previous computers you can salavage?(harddrive,CD drives, etc.)

    I would also agree the 2G 6950 is the best card for what your trying to do and it will max out all of the games your trying to play.As for the eyefinity setup you might get away with 50-60 FPS with those games,definitly not gonna be maxing out any newer games with just a sinlge 6950 in eyefinity.


    Awesome :D - also I've got a CD Drive on this pc along with the harddrive, but I'd prefer something bigger as its only 320GB
  8. Use the CD Drive that will save you an exta $20.Using that hardrive would save you another $50 but you are going to upgrade.
  9. purple stank said:
    Use the CD Drive that will save you an exta $20.Using that hardrive would save you another $50 but you are going to upgrade.



    So what mobo/psu/case/etc do you recommend?
  10. Whats ur budget for all of that?
    And what are you planning on getting?
    I would suggest a 750watt PSU if you are going with the 6950 as planned.That way you have room for crossfire.
  11. purple stank said:
    Whats ur budget for all of that?
    And what are you planning on getting?
    I would suggest a 750watt PSU if you are going with the 6950 as planned.That way you have room for crossfire.


    ~$1100

    Mostly as long as I have an i7-2600k and a 6950/70 (if a 6970 is in the budget hell I'll get it but idk) I don't care about the rest (ya know, I mostly just know about the main stuff, RAM/CPU/GPU)
  12. yeah mainly just don't get an ultra psu and you will be ok
  13. PSU
    XFX BE(Modular) 750watt $130=$110 after MIR + $6 Shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

    Case
    HAF 932 $160~$170=$20 Shipping

    Blue
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213&cm_re=HAF_932-_-11-119-213-_-Product

    Red
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=HAF_932-_-11-119-160-_-Product

    6950
    MSI Twin Frozr $290=$265 after MIR + $5 Shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127562&cm_re=6950-_-14-127-562-_-Product

    I can't reccomend you a mobo because I don't know Intel as well as AMD so that would be a shot in the dark for me.Post back if you would like some more help with case fans or coolers.
  14. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583&cm_re=p67-_-13-130-583-_-Product

    I would get this board ^^^ and the i5 2500k, that way you can run crossfire down the road if you want..

    if you have the extra money maybe the 2600k (main difference is that the 2600k is threaded so if games start making use of 8 threads or 8 cores then it will help but currently not that many games/apps make use of more than 4 cores but im just saying.... really either cpu will be way overkill for any current multi gpu setup, both of those chips are ridiculously fast for gaming.
  15. That looks like a good mobo.I just had the AMD Version.
  16. yeah and I pretty much have the micro atx amd version myself
  17. I had the 890FXA-GD65.Same thing just not micro.For some reason it's the exact same mobo but the AMD version has dual x16 slots.Although x8 slots dont have that much of a performance impact it is nice to have the dual x16 slots at a resonable price.
  18. Awesome, and that tops off at only $1005(About $85 extra for ram, and I think thats it, so only $1090!). Sweet, I think I'll be doing this. Next month, can't wait now haha.

    EDIT: Oh, HDD too but I believe 1TB is only about $50. And coolers I can ask around at compusa - my store has some pretty cool guys.
  19. Get a Hyper 212+ for the cooler they go for around $30 in store.Ram,you can get 4G for around $40.I'd get a 500GB or a 750GB HDD for around $30.
    $1100 isn't bad for a new high end Sandybridge build.

    You could actually save around $50 if you needed to on the case.Get the HAF 922 isntead.
  20. +1 yeah hyper 212+ rocks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics