Sign in with
Your question

Changing motherboard, what do i have to do?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 10, 2012 4:27:58 PM

I currently have a ASUS P5G41C-M LX with a C2Q 8300 in there. I recently bought an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO and an Intel i5 3570K.
I want to change my old mobo and processor to the one i recently bought BUT STILL use the components i have right now, like the HDD, Graphics card, Sound card and optical drive.

What do i have to do to be able to change to my new components without problems later on.
Do i have to uninstall the drivers that i installed for the old mobo? If so, where do i find them or what program can i use?

For additional information, i have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
And i preferrably would not like to clean install a W7 on my HDD again.

Thanks in advanced

More about : changing motherboard

June 10, 2012 5:55:07 PM

wrenaudrey said:
i preferrably would not like to clean install a W7 on my HDD again.

Wouldn't we all :) 

Unfortunately, this is probably the only option as I doubt you'll be able to boot off the old Windows installation.
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 7:05:41 PM

Echo pdxalex, you will almost certainly need to reinstall Windows and all your programs.
Related resources
June 11, 2012 5:59:20 AM

Is there a circumstance that i would not need to reinstall my OS?
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 6:50:29 AM

if you switched to a board with the same chipset maybe. A clean install is always best and pretty easy and quick. Of course if you have OEM windows changing the board invalidates your license
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 5:22:58 PM

The new motherboard needs to be pretty much exactly the same as the old one. Same maker is generally always a requirement, same model usually.

I would just start getting used to the idea now since I am pretty sure your motherboards are worlds apart.

If you have an OEM version of Windows, prepare to tell some sob story to Microsoft when you are on the phone with them.
!