Sign in with
Your question

Cannot boot from .iso files; cannot access BIOS.

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2011 5:15:33 PM

I have just built a computer, which of course has an empty hard drive-this means no MBR, no anything. The computer seems to be detecting the hard drive, memory, cpu, and video card I installed. It simply won't boot iso files. My goal is to install fedora 15 on this computer. Regarding the BIOS: my motherboard is an ASrock, and their site says to hit F2 to access BIOS. This did not work.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2011 5:29:35 PM

are you talking about booting from a CD? you need to burn that .iso to a CD, and you need a valid windows 7 install code. you can also buy the retail version with the disk instead of just the key.
m
l
June 24, 2011 5:31:25 PM

I burned the .iso to the CD, I'm aware of how to do that. Also, I was planning on installing Fedora. I don't even think installing Windows would be doable, since it just won't boot off of any CD.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2011 5:39:17 PM

are you sure the disc is bootable?
m
l
June 24, 2011 5:47:02 PM

As far as I know, it will boot on a mac. For the homebuilt computer, it will get to the part where it asks me how to boot. If I choose either boot, or verify then boot, it will show a small symbol in the center, that normally fills up, but it doesn't. There is no CD activity at all at this point. For a windows computer, I'm not sure how to boot from a CD. Hitting F12 and selecting to boot from a CD doesn't seem to work.
m
l
June 24, 2011 5:55:10 PM

Did you try setting your CD to first boot device in your bios? Ibleive it located in the Advanced settings.
If so, when booting it should say press any key to boot from CD.
m
l
June 24, 2011 5:57:03 PM

If I don't put a CD with an iso into the computer, it will tell me to press any key or insert media with and os to restart the computer... I'm going to try and access the BIOS again; the ASrock site said F2, but I'll try others...
m
l
June 24, 2011 6:07:37 PM

A major breakthrough! I CAN access the UEFI! I have to hold the delete key (???).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2011 6:08:59 PM

yes, the UEFI/BIOS usually use the buttons F1, F2, Del, Esc. any success from here?
m
l
June 24, 2011 6:11:29 PM

Also, it gives boot options. Number 1 is the hard drive, and 2 is the CD/DVD drive.
m
l
June 24, 2011 6:18:55 PM

Still can't boot from iso though.
m
l
June 24, 2011 7:47:45 PM

Here's what's more. I'm starting to look negatively at the CD drive. When I patched the its SATA cable (yes its a SATA drive) over from a 6 GB/s spot to a 3 GB/s spot, a white screen with possible messages I saw earlier, before reaching the frozen screen part was slowed down. It said: ata2.00: failed to resume link (SControl 0) <similar messages follow, with: ata1.01, ata 2.01, ata 1.00, etc.
m
l
!