B75 for gaming?

Hey, I found a biostar b75 that has a lot of features but I'm not sure if b75 would be right for gaming. Whats the difference between h61 and b75?
13 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. It is a newer chipset with PCIe 3 support. It will do fine in gaming.
  2. I would avoid both Biostar and B75. It should work, but I am not a big fan of the brand or the board type.

A z77 from Asus, Gigabyte, or Asrock would be a more mainstream selection.
  3. B75 is fine for a none "K" CPU and if the board has enough features for the user!
  4. Why non "k" cpu only? What do you need for them?
  5. eodeo said:
    Why non "k" cpu only? What do you need for them?

You can use a K CPU with any of the LGA 1155 boards, but you can only overclock them with P67, Z68, Z75, or Z77. Therefore, it doesn't make any sense to "muzzle" the K CPU's with a board that you can't overclock with.
  6. So, if i dont care about overclocking, i can stick with non k cpu and b75 mobo for example?

Does that imply that I cant overclock at all, or just not as much/ as good?
  7. eodeo said:
    So, if i dont care about overclocking, i can stick with non k cpu and b75 mobo for example?

Does that imply that I cant overclock at all, or just not as much/ as good?

Yeah, if you don't care about overclocking, a B75 board is just fine, but yes, that means that you can't really overclock at all (I don't think the BCLK is locked on a B75 board, but you can't really overclock the BCLK much anyway, so there's no point).
  8. Thank you!

So if I were to get a CPU like i5 3450 with base clock of 3.1ghz, I couldnt OC it to 3.8ghz or any usefull OC by using b75?
  9. eodeo said:
    Thank you!

So if I were to get a CPU like i5 3450 with base clock of 3.1ghz, I couldnt OC it to 3.8ghz or any usefull OC by using b75?

As far as I know, no.
  10. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I dont want to OC, but my old q6600 was begging for 2.4>3ghz auto overclock. I was wondering if something similar was viable for ivy bridge. Getting z77 over b75 is doubling mobo price and that is just not nice.
  11. eodeo said:
    Thank you for clearing that up for me!

I dont want to OC, but my old q6600 was begging for 2.4>3ghz auto overclock. I was wondering if something similar was viable for ivy bridge. Getting z77 over b75 is doubling mobo price and that is just not nice.

Z75 should be a bit cheaper, but you can get an entry level Z77 pretty cheaply. It won't be the best for overclocking, but it will at least be able to.
  12. Thank you kind sir :)
  13. eodeo said:
    Thank you kind sir :)

You're welcome. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Gaming Biostar Motherboards