First Person Shooter Recommendation?

Maeven

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

I have an SP and my 5 year old son used to love it. Until Dad got Halo
(1). Now Son begs to play with either Dad or Mom every chance he gets.
We thought that we would get him an SP of his own with a first person
shooter. Now before I get flamed for allowing him to shoot things. My
husband and I talked to him about how it's pretend and it's not okay to
shoot people (since the game only has aliens that we are supposed to
shoot). And if some of you still don't agree, I say you don't know our
family or my son. We actively participate with him on everything and we
are perceptive. Whatever.

So, with all that said, is there something similar to Halo, (meaning
non-human enemies, first person shooter type) that we could preview for
our son?

If that made sense....

Thanks All,
Wendy

doom or serious sam??

the_niner_nation wrote:

> doom or serious sam??

yea I agree serious sam would be nice, 'cos it's not shooting other people
in a realistic way like eg timesplitters 2 would be.

--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.

Maeven <maeven68@ferret.bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have an SP and my 5 year old son used to love it. Until Dad got Halo
> (1). Now Son begs to play with either Dad or Mom every chance he gets.
> We thought that we would get him an SP of his own with a first person
> shooter. Now before I get flamed for allowing him to shoot things. My
> husband and I talked to him about how it's pretend and it's not okay to
> shoot people (since the game only has aliens that we are supposed to
> shoot). And if some of you still don't agree, I say you don't know our
> family or my son. We actively participate with him on everything and we
> are perceptive. Whatever.
>
> So, with all that said, is there something similar to Halo, (meaning
> non-human enemies, first person shooter type) that we could preview for
> our son?
>
> If that made sense....
>
> Thanks All,
> Wendy

Duke Nukem Advance is likely a tad too adult (a bit of bad language, not
as bad/good as PC DN3D). I'd go for Doom I or II. Doom is blasting
aliens away taken to an art form on the PC, and the GBA versions aren't
too bad at all.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:56:34 +1300, jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie
Kahn Genet) wrote:

>Maeven <maeven68@ferret.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> I have an SP and my 5 year old son used to love it. Until Dad got Halo
>> (1). Now Son begs to play with either Dad or Mom every chance he gets.
>> We thought that we would get him an SP of his own with a first person
>> shooter. Now before I get flamed for allowing him to shoot things. My
>> husband and I talked to him about how it's pretend and it's not okay to
>> shoot people (since the game only has aliens that we are supposed to
>> shoot). And if some of you still don't agree, I say you don't know our
>> family or my son. We actively participate with him on everything and we
>> are perceptive. Whatever.
>>
>> So, with all that said, is there something similar to Halo, (meaning
>> non-human enemies, first person shooter type) that we could preview for
>> our son?
>>
>> If that made sense....
>>
>> Thanks All,
>> Wendy
>
>Duke Nukem Advance is likely a tad too adult (a bit of bad language, not
>as bad/good as PC DN3D). I'd go for Doom I or II. Doom is blasting
>aliens away taken to an art form on the PC, and the GBA versions aren't
>too bad at all.
>
>Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Well ... I don't think that Halo is remotely appropriate for a 5 year
old. I barely let my 6.5 and 8 year old play any 'T' games, let alone
'M' ... But that is a parental choice.

So if you let him play Halo, I don't see why Duke Nukem Advance would
be an issue. It is the best FPS I've played on the GBA, and the
violence is really of the Doom-esque variety ... aside from a bit of
Duke-Talk, it isn't too bad, much more tame than the PC game in that
regard.

Otherwise Doom 1 or 2 are decent.

Mike

Michael Anderson <txa1265@spymac.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:56:34 +1300, jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie
> Kahn Genet) wrote:
>
> >Maeven <maeven68@ferret.bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I have an SP and my 5 year old son used to love it. Until Dad got Halo
> >> (1). Now Son begs to play with either Dad or Mom every chance he gets.
> >> We thought that we would get him an SP of his own with a first person
> >> shooter. Now before I get flamed for allowing him to shoot things. My
> >> husband and I talked to him about how it's pretend and it's not okay to
> >> shoot people (since the game only has aliens that we are supposed to
> >> shoot). And if some of you still don't agree, I say you don't know our
> >> family or my son. We actively participate with him on everything and we
> >> are perceptive. Whatever.
> >>
> >> So, with all that said, is there something similar to Halo, (meaning
> >> non-human enemies, first person shooter type) that we could preview for
> >> our son?
> >>
> >> If that made sense....
> >>
> >> Thanks All,
> >> Wendy
> >
> >Duke Nukem Advance is likely a tad too adult (a bit of bad language, not
> >as bad/good as PC DN3D). I'd go for Doom I or II. Doom is blasting
> >aliens away taken to an art form on the PC, and the GBA versions aren't
> >too bad at all.
> >
> >Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet
>
> Well ... I don't think that Halo is remotely appropriate for a 5 year
> old. I barely let my 6.5 and 8 year old play any 'T' games, let alone
> 'M' ... But that is a parental choice.
>
> So if you let him play Halo, I don't see why Duke Nukem Advance would
> be an issue. It is the best FPS I've played on the GBA, and the
> violence is really of the Doom-esque variety ... aside from a bit of
> Duke-Talk, it isn't too bad, much more tame than the PC game in that
> regard.
>
> Otherwise Doom 1 or 2 are decent.
>
> Mike

Hey Mike - yeah, I agree DN Advance is the best FPS on the GBA, without
a doubt. It's a tad short, but I'd urge everyone to give it at least one
go. Great fun.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill