Looking for a good, high-quality wired mouse

Walkop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hello all - new here to Tom's Hardware (the forums, anyway), and I'm looking for some advice on some new peripherals.

I live in Canada, and I'm starting to get a little fed up with my wireless mouse. Sure, it works fairly well, but the signal cut-outs and overall inaccuracy are starting to bug me. Battery life is also an issue - not that my mouse dies frequently or has poor battery life, but it's one of those nagging things - I don't want to waste the batteries by replacing them too early, but I don't want them to die right in the middle of a game!

I've looked around at Logitech, Microsoft, and various others - but many seem quite expensive here in Canada. Can anyone recommend a good, high-quality mouse? My price range is around $0-30 (although I'd prefer $0-25). I definitely do not want wireless - wired are usually cheaper for higher quality internals. Besides, I have a desk where the cord can be easily hidden in the back. No mess.

My current mouse is a laser, and I'm looking to stay in that category (no optical).

I'd prefer to have the side-bumper buttons (any number is fine), and a horizontal scroll wheel would be a definite plus (web browsing, mostly) - but that isn't a necessity. As mentioned, I would prefer a corded mouse. I do game, so a comfortable mouse would be nice as well.

If there is nothing in that range that satisfies all my requirements, that's fine - I'm open to all suggestions and am willing to look at all retailers.

Thanks!

RAZER Black 1 x Wheel USB Optical/Laser 6400 dpi Imperator 2012 Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse $79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153079

I'm sure this is not in your price range but I'm partial to Razer mice and this is what I am currently using. Great for gaming and is software adjustable and programable with on board memory.

Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse $39.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

This one might be in your range.

Walkop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
The latter one looked interesting, but It turned out to be $62.99 on the Canadian Newegg website :D :ange:
Thanks, though ;)

Any other sugggestions?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Don't let one spoiled egg make your never eat eggs again. You clearly used a poor quality wireless mouse. High quality wireless mice from Logitech and Razer will give you unnoticeable differences in accuracy, delay, or signal cuts. On many of the mice, you have the option of wireless or wired and many have a battery life of a day if not more in which care you charge at night.

I'm using a Logitech G700 (not really a gamer, its just comfortable and has nice features). I use it on wireless and despite my receiver being under my desk about 4 feet away from the mouse, I get no issues what so ever.

Walkop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hmm...I was thinking this myself; and I do have a relatively bad mouse. It is fairly cheap - you know Factory Direct? 20$ from there. It's a Verbatim. The issues I have are also not too bad - but they are quite noticeable. For instance, if I position my mouse too far away from the receiver (front of my PC case, inside a desk (around 4-5 feet distance)) I can get random signal cuts. About the battery life, though, it is on the order of months. But the signal starts to cut after just a little while, and it starts to bug me pretty fast. I'm just annoyed with the mouse (especially when the batteries are low). It's also uncomfortable to weild, and just doesn't feel right. It's narrow and long.

You are definitely right about the "never eat eggs again" part - I myself always get annoyed when people discount a certain type of device because they had one bad experience. I don't want to do that myself, now do I? :D

Now, a better wireless mouse would probably perform much more respectably...but I'm still not sure if I can find one with as many features as a comparably priced wired mouse. I'm not looking to spend a lot - but I want a mouse that works good, is comfortable, versatile, and just good quality.

You mentioned wireless/wired mice - I assume you mean the mice that can charge through a cord (acting as wired) and also act independently? The flexibility is nice there - my mouse actually had an adapter like that, but it was quite cheap (and extremely thin - I'm talking <2mm).

Again, my main concern is cost-to-features. If I can get a great mouse with both wired and wireless capability for a good price, I will - and that would definitely be preferable - but if corded has to suffice, I don't mind too much.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
A few months back I was looking for a new mouse to upgrade from my old and inaccurate optical mouse and I purchased a wired Logitech G9X. It was truly an amazing mouse...however sadly it was shaped in a way that my hand did not like...after using it for just 5minutes normally, I would get painful and annoying pain in the outer edge of my hand from the pinky to my wrist and it was getting unbearable. And no, I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome, because the pain went away the second I let ago and I have no issues when I lift weights. Infact, I went as far as buying a larger grip for it, but it still hurt. Maybe it was too small or had a weird shape.

Nevertheless, I need another mouse and the closest one with the features was the Logitech G700. It has no removable grips or a cool little screen but it is considerable wider, longer, and higher I think. Either way, its enough for my hand to be comfortable.

Enough of my rant, Currently, my computer case, which is under my desk and about 3-4feet away from my actual mouse has the wireless receiver plugged into the top port and the mouse works perfectly fine.

This mouse has a 5700dpi rate and 1000mhz polling...it doesn't get better than that. Paired up with a good mousepad, the mouse will glide with pinpoint accuracy. Not to mention its packed with geatures and buttons. It can work without a battery as a wired mouse...so if you want a lighter mouse, just take the battery out.

And finally, the last thing that I think will solve all your problems if you shall have them. Is the fact that the mouse comes with a wireless receiver extender. Its like a 6-8foot wire with another USB port at the end that you can place literally on your desk right in front of your mouse. So basically your wireless receiver would be in direct sight about a foot from your mouse easily solving any signal issues.

It is an expensive mouse ($100), but you can get it cheaper online probably, especially used. It's well worth it it IMO.

Walkop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I've been looking around based on your suggestions - although the G700 is probably out of my price range, I have raised it by a fair margin. I want a great mouse that is going to last me for a long time and satisfy my mouse-needs all at once.

So, I looked a step down from that.

What do you think about the G500? I've found a few places where it goes for around $55, which is pretty reasonable, and it has adjustable weights, side-scrolling, 10 programmable buttons...etc.

Walkop

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Just thought I'd update - I did end up purchasing the G500. It's a great little mouse; works great, its accurate, comfortable, and it is extremely responsive. The scroll wheel is slightly less resistive than I would like; but that's nitpicking.