HDMI output not as clean as DVI output from 5870

successfuljack187

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hey guys!

I need your help. I am running a ATI 5870 and just upgraded my home theater receiver to an Onkyo TX-NR 807. Up until this point, I had my PC hooked up directly to my TV through it's DVI output. I had a DVI to HDMI cable that was hooked up directly to my TV and it was BEAUTIFUL!! Crisp images, clean video, everything perfect.

I hooked up an HDMI to HDMI cable and everything changed. It looks like the contrast is at 10,000%. All the text has some sort of feedback on it, it's blurry, but crisp at the same time. It's hard to describe. The color is a little off too.

I've tried hooking up the HDMI cable directly to the TV, and have ran it through the receiver. Both units provide the same results, crap!

I have to assume this is a common problem, but upon searching, I haven't seen an answer to it. I read one comment that stated people need to reinstall everything... well I tried that and it didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas? Any reason for this happening? Did it happen to you?

Thanks!!!

Make sure the HDMI input you are using to the TV is listed by the TV as "PC". If you don't the image will be very blurry.

TV's and PC LCD's interpert the incoming signal slightly differently, and as a result, if a TV receives a HDMI from a PC and is NOT set manually to recognize that input as comming from a PC, it will be very blurry as a result. I ran into this same issue on my Samsung UNC7000 series, and know LG and Sony TV's have the same type of issue as well.

successfuljack187

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I've done that, and it does, in fact, work to a certain extent. The problem is that I have my computer hooked up to a receiver, and my receiver sends all sources to the TV. Thus, if I set it to PC, all of the rest of my sources will be set to PC. So my bluray player will be under PC mode. I wouldn't be able to set my video settings to be universal to all sources as I have it now. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can work? How good are splitters these days? Could I take my DVI to Hdmi cable and hook it up to the tv, and run a hdmi cable to my receiver just for audio?

TRENDING THREADS