8800gt dead?

Maco_svk

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hi, it looks like my vga started dying today. After I tried to connect a TV to tv-out connector the screen went crazy showing artifacts and the pc froze (or maybe just the display did). I plugged the monitor back the same way I had it before and it seemed to be OK. However, after a minute or two of gameplay it happened again. The same thing happened in FurMark but even sooner. I still can run internet browser and not-gpu heavy stuff without problems but once the 3d graphics get involved, the vga fails within minutes.

The card is quite old, around 3, maybe 4 years as well as the rest of the pc. It's not such a big deal since I've been thinking about a replacing it with a gtx560 anyways, but still, I'd like to know what's wrong and why. Any info appreciated.

Here is a pic from FurMark, in BFBC2 it looks the same.

11h86ex.jpg

Dead core, there isn't much you can do and just replace the card. The GTX 560 is a nice card and a Lot more powerful than your current card but uses close to twice the power. Will need a cpu that is 3ghz or more dual/quad or there will be a bottleneck in lower resolutions. Don't buy Palit or Gigabyte due to numerous cooling related issues.

EDIT: typo

Maco_svk

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I'm still choosing between 560 and 570, either Asus or MSI. I'm just not sure whether the 100eur difference is worth it.