Sign in with
Your question

First Build

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2011 8:41:41 PM

Recently I've been thinking about building myself a computer. After about 3 days of looking around, I've come up with a preliminary build:

Case:
Antec 1200

CPU:
Intel i7 2600K

CPU Fan/Heatsink:
Noctua NH-D14

MOBO:
ASUS P8P67 PRO

RAM:
G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB)

GPU:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (I haven't picked a specific card.)

Sound Card:
ASUS Xonar DX

Network Card:
Linksys WMP54G

SSD:
Kingston SSDNow V+ Series 64GB

HDD:
HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 3TB

PSU:
Corsair Enthusiast Series 850TX

Monitor:
ASUS VH236H

I plan to use this for both video editing (Adobe AE, etc) and gaming (BF3, MW3, Skyrim, etc).

So, will it work? Are there any changes I should make? Suggestions, anyone?

More about : build

June 24, 2011 8:56:41 PM

Not bad, but you need to DROP THE 16GB! Get 8GB, will be more than sufficient.
I STRONGLY suggest getting a better SSD. Check out the OCZ agility 3's.

The hard drive you linked is 2TB. for the price I would get 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3's, much faster and reliable.

Also, drop the sound card. Unless you have a very nice set of 7.1 headphones/speakers, you will not notice a difference.

Get a Z68 board. If we are going top-of-the-line, the ASRock z68 Extreme4 fits the bill. Quicksync will speed up encoding times by A TON!

Since you are video editing, spend a little extra and get an IPS panel. They more accurately display color: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That Noctua is overkill unless you plan on hitting 5GHz or so. A smaller/cheaper cooler will work just fine.
m
l
Related resources
June 24, 2011 9:38:16 PM

^+1 for the HX850. 7 year warranty, better efficiency, semi modular design.
m
l
June 24, 2011 10:51:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!
Silvune said:
Don't get the old Corsair 850TX, there is a newer, better version available now and it's no more expensive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

striker410 said:
Nice catch. I would get the HX with his budget though.

I'll look into those.

striker410 said:
Not bad, but you need to DROP THE 16GB! Get 8GB, will be more than sufficient.
I STRONGLY suggest getting a better SSD. Check out the OCZ agility 3's.

The hard drive you linked is 2TB. for the price I would get 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3's, much faster and reliable.

Also, drop the sound card. Unless you have a very nice set of 7.1 headphones/speakers, you will not notice a difference.

Get a Z68 board. If we are going top-of-the-line, the ASRock z68 Extreme4 fits the bill. Quicksync will speed up encoding times by A TON!

Since you are video editing, spend a little extra and get an IPS panel. They more accurately display color: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That Noctua is overkill unless you plan on hitting 5GHz or so. A smaller/cheaper cooler will work just fine.

Is there any benefit of going 4x2GB vs 2x4GB RAM?
I'll go with the Hyper 212+ instead of the Noctua. (Just out of curiosity, what's the highest you can safely clock to with the Hyper?)

Also, is there anything I should invest in now if I want to have dual monitors in the future?
m
l
June 24, 2011 10:56:05 PM

No benefit. It'd be better to go 2x4. And I think the Hyper can do 4.6 or so.
m
l
June 24, 2011 11:11:35 PM

You have a high enough wattage in the PSU to run SLI for the multi monitor setup which really is the only concern for that setup.
m
l
!