Will a 6870 run eyefinity by itself?

Itzviral

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hi all, I'm trying to set up an eyefinity display with my lone Radeon 6870. I currently have 2 25" monitors hooked up via DVI, and the card does indeed have 2 mini display ports. I was under the assumption that I could purchase a mini-display port to DVI Active adapter and plug my third monitor in through there. Am I correct in this assumption that a single 6870 can do this, and run eyefinity? (I dont want to buy a third monitor if this wont work.)

Also, as far as gaming goes what kind of performance loss should i be willing to expect with eyefinity enabled. I plan on playing World of Warcraft and Rift.

Thanks guys.

Solution
The HD6870 can indeed use eyefinity by itself. The performance probably isn't going to be very good for gaming on 3 1080p monitors however but I guess it depends on what settings you are willing to use. If you want to be able to max things out you'll probably want a second HD6870 in crossfire if your motherboard and budget allow for such.
The HD6870 can indeed use eyefinity by itself. The performance probably isn't going to be very good for gaming on 3 1080p monitors however but I guess it depends on what settings you are willing to use. If you want to be able to max things out you'll probably want a second HD6870 in crossfire if your motherboard and budget allow for such.

Solution