Molex connector spark - safe?

Thalmighty

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hello,

Here is my query. I have an Asus Xonar Dx sound card. I installed the sound card in my computer. When I turned my pc on, I realised that it was not receiving power. Now, being a real idiot, I plugged the molex adapter from my sound card to the molex socket cable from my PSU while the pc wa on! Yes, I know... As a result, there was a spark coming from the molex adapter. My question is, is the card safe to use with a computer? It has been working fine for the past month, but I wonder if it might cause long term damage. My motherboard fried when I installed new RAM, and I hope my sound card did not cause this to happen. My motherboard and CPU are being replaced.

Thanks.

Thalmighty

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
In order for the sound card to receive power from the sound card, there was a 3 pin connector and a short wire which turned into a 4 pin molex connector. This had to be plugged into A molex socket with 4 holes, which led to the PSU.

OK, understood. My Creative card did not have this separate power connector, hence my question.

As jsc suggests, never connect anything (I don't even like the hot swap feature on hot swappable devices) while the computer is running.

And always wear a grounding strap while working on a computer.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Always unplug your rig and wait 30 seconds before you touch any of the electronic parts. Ground yourself before you proceed (you can use an anti-statci strap or pad or touch the metal of the case before you touch the mobo or add-in card).

Even is something is rated as hot-swappable, it is better to cold swap. Exceptions can be made for USB firewire, and eSATA.

Yes, it is safe to continue using your sound card. Make sure the system is OFF, unplugged, and you wear a grounding wrist strap before you plug in the sound card. After everything is plugged in securely, it is safe to turn the power ON, and restart the system.