Need help with first time gaming build.

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello there. I'm new to the forums and need help building a good computer for student work, etc. and especially for playing high end games. Not to break new limits, but to simply play an enjoyable experience in a game the way it was meant to be played. This will be my first build/gaming build ever. Some specific games are those of Valve like the Portals, Team Fortress 2, etc.; GTA 4 (possibly with enb, but this being my first rig means overclocking will be very new to me), BFBC2, Mafia 2, CoD 4 Promod and others, and especially Battlefield 3. I know not much is known about specs, but I do know that the Fault Line series was made with a GTX 580. Anyway, I currently have a computer that I tried to get TF2 to run on, but got no success since it only has 512mb of ram and a celeron D processor; I learned the hard way that even buying a low to middle end card like the 5570 won't help if the CPU is prehistoric. Also, I have no intentions to upgrade my monitor as I'm happy with a 1600x900 resolution on a 22in flat-screen Acer, but I would like to upgrade to 7.1 speakers, a gaming keyboard and a gaming mouse. I hope that the resolution preference will be an assisstance in choosing the right GPU. I would greatly appreciate anyone assisting with a good build for these previously mentioned things, thanks. I would be okay with spending maybe 1000-1500, but if a good build can be for less it would be even better.

P.S.- I'm jumping from 360 as I think PC's are more worth it in the long run.