Sign in with
Your question

Slooooooow connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 15, 2010 1:16:18 AM

Hello,

I have both wired & wireless networks in my home. Lately the wirelesss bandwidth has dropped to under 0.5 Mbps while the wired speed is 10-15 Mbps. Any ideas?

More about : slooooooow connection

December 15, 2010 1:46:05 PM

A few questions:

1.) How far away are you from the router?
2.) Have you changed any settings recently? If so, which ones?
3.) How hot is the router?
4.) Unplug the router and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Plug it back in. Does your speed improve? Even for a short amount of time?
m
l
December 15, 2010 7:46:47 PM

I have same problem too.
I have three wifi and one lan connected computers.
they used to be around 13Mbps using speedtest.net
but only two wifi are now getting around 4Mbps.
other wifi does get 13Mbps (this one is located farther than other two wifis)
lan does get 13Mbps also.
i have no idea why those two wifi speed dropped.
i never touched settings. i tried turning off and on the router.
i have 2wire uverse.
on windows, it says i have good connection.
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2010 7:47:51 PM

Psychoteddy said:
A few questions:

1.) How far away are you from the router?
2.) Have you changed any settings recently? If so, which ones?
3.) How hot is the router?
4.) Unplug the router and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Plug it back in. Does your speed improve? Even for a short amount of time?

1.) approx 60'. It's a b/g/n router.
2.) No, but I'm goint to try a different channel.
3.) barely warm
4.) I've tried a power down cycle with no effect. Since the router isn't hot I doubt it will respond to cooling off but I'll try it and let you know.
m
l
December 16, 2010 3:37:16 PM

I spent all night tweaking my wireless router (WRT150N) with a mixed bag of results. I've decided it isn't acting how it should and replacing it seems in order. I'm considering an Apple Airport Extreme. Any comments?
m
l
December 16, 2010 3:55:24 PM

In my experience the Apples have a lot of heat issues. I used to have a 150N and hated it. So I feel your pain. I just recently purchased a Linksys e3000 and it's the best router I've ever seen for home use. Fantastic product. Esp. with dd-wrt! :bounce: 

Switching channels may also help out a lot.
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:21:23 PM

Our local IT guy gives the Apple AirPort Extreme rave reviews so I went out at lunch and bought one. I never thought I'd buy an Apple product. I doubt they make it though. I'll be setting it up tonight or attempting to, at least. I'm think of replacing both my wired & wireless with this one. Currently the wireless is cascaded to the ground level of my house from the basement where the wired router and the cable modem reside. I'm a little skeptical that any wireless will be powerful enough to penetrate several walls plus a floor/ceiling at a distance of probably 60 feet straight line. I'll report back here in case anybody can benefit from my misery.
m
l
December 17, 2010 10:17:21 AM

Well, I spent the evening playing around with the (supposedly) hi performance Apple AirPort Extreme router. Actually, they call it a "base station". Just one more reason I hate Apple. They insist on doing things differently only to be different, not better. Anyway, I can't say I'm impressed yet. I was able to replace both the wired and wireless routers with the Apple located in my basement. The bad news is the wireless client speed is no better. However, during the course of getting one of the wireless clients connected I located a stronger competing network. Probably a neighbor. I may be able to remedy this by changing wireless channels but I haven't had any success yet. I'm afraid I may have to run some cat 5 cable to the other end of the house. So, anyway my advice for the AirPort Extreme is "don't waste your money".
m
l
December 17, 2010 11:08:19 AM

ram1009 said:
Well, I spent the evening playing around with the (supposedly) hi performance Apple AirPort Extreme router. Actually, they call it a "base station". Just one more reason I hate Apple. They insist on doing things differently only to be different, not better. Anyway, I can't say I'm impressed yet. I was able to replace both the wired and wireless routers with the Apple located in my basement. The bad news is the wireless client speed is no better. However, during the course of getting one of the wireless clients connected I located a stronger competing network. Probably a neighbor. I may be able to remedy this by changing wireless channels but I haven't had any success yet. I'm afraid I may have to run some cat 5 cable to the other end of the house. So, anyway my advice for the AirPort Extreme is "don't waste your money".

Don't say I didn't tell you so! :p 

Srsly take that piece of garbage back and grab an e3000. You'll thank me. :) 
m
l
December 17, 2010 9:06:33 PM

Psychoteddy said:
Don't say I didn't tell you so! :p 

Srsly take that piece of garbage back and grab an e3000. You'll thank me. :) 

You didn't actually say anything about an AirPort Estreme. The heat issues you experienced aren't present in this unit, not yet at least. I don't think it performs any better/worse than a good non-Apple though and I really hate Apple so I most likely will be taking it back although I'm going to experiment a little more this WE just to be sure I'm doing the right thing. I actually have several Linksys wired routers doing nothing. I doubt I'll have much trouble cascading one or more once I get some cat 5 strung. That's the worst part as you probably know. Anyway, my "don't buy" recommendation stands. Our IT guy, who recommended it so highly was somewhat mute when I told him it didn't play any better than my Linksys. To each their own.
m
l
!