Is there a problem with all ATI cards?

database_89

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hey people,

I was talking to a friend of mine about buying this graphics card (See link at the bottom) He told me never to buy a ATI card because they all have heating problems, but I don't believe him. So I decided to ask you people if all ATI cards have over heating problems? I've only owned Nvidia cards myself you see.

Also, does this card I want to buy had problems with overheating before?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sapphire-ATI-Radeon-HD-5770-1GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card-/130439467496?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1e5ecc51e8#ht_3354wt_1139

That's all,

Thanks!

database_89

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for the reply turboflame. He said that they just over heat when they are sitting idle and when they are at full power, but any card can heat up during full GPU load, right?

in short, no that is a horrible blanket statement, there are plenty of AMD gpus that are cool and many of them operate with lower heat and power consumption of their nvidia counterparts..

Your friend doesn't have a clue.

My ATI card is almost 2 years old and it clocks itself down when it's idle.

The clocks are 725mhz core/ 1000mhz memory, when it's idle it drops to 157mhz core/300mhz memory.

Even at full clocks and full load it barely goes over 50c.

if your friends statement was true OP, there would be recalls of all amd/ati cards, but there isnt. I could say this statement about nvidia cards "all gtx570 and gtx590 cards will blow up under certain conditions"

My guess - if his statement was at all based on fact - is that his comment came from information back in the 4850 and older days. The 4850 single slot could run hot: 60-70C at idle and 90+C at load. However to be fair, it didn't seem to hurt the card (mine still works fine) and none of their more recent cards run anywhere near that hot. In fact, most of the recent heat jokes have been on NVidia's 470 and 480 (but even they have been fixed).

-_- your friend is dumb. Right now nVidia's cards have more of a problem with heat. Even so, you could know that the more powerful a card your going to get, the more you should think about airflow. If you have an overclocked CPU and a Radeon 6950 or a GTX 570 in a crappy case with one 80 mm fan you're gonna have heating problems no matter what.

I'm up against a bit of a wall myself with my X-Dreamer since it wasn't exactly designed with 5870s in mind. Sure they fit, and the X-Dreamer has been a great budget case for me. Case temps were fine with one, but I wanted a second one :p. Ah well. I'm gonna have to take out my slower LED fan (came with the case) and put in something that moves some air. Me like blue LED ^_^

Simple answer to video cards have problems is yes. All hardware can have problems. Nvidia doesn''t have any less problems though. As for heating, that card runs cool. hd 5770s are cool running cards. Your friend doesn't know hot temps. Just keep under 90C. Hope this helped! ;)

how is your min fps with your 5870s?

leon2006

Distinguished
The answer to your question is NO....

I use both ATI and NVIDIA. I'm generally happy with the cards that i have.

You have to look at the reviews, benchmark results,and forum discussions to assess specific generation of GPU-cards from both companies.

There are times that Nvidia is better than ATI and there are times that its the other way around.

Generalization or generic statements like that don't hold water

^true except for vrms getting too hot in some 5870s...

I am telling you though my gtx 570 runs cool and is very quite even with the fan at 100% even much quieter than the 5770 which is in my gf's rig so I would say it just depends on what card specifically you are talking about, but its not like I had to increase my airflow going from amd to nvidia...