Cingular versus Verizon

lee

I am trying to make a decision regarding the above two. With Verizon I
can take their $39 plan and still connect to my ISP and get my mail and
d/l the ng's with out any additional charges. Is this also possible
with Cingular with out any additional charges?

Lee

"Lee" <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am trying to make a decision regarding the above two. With Verizon I
> can take their $39 plan and still connect to my ISP and get my mail and
> d/l the ng's with out any additional charges. Is this also possible
> with Cingular with out any additional charges?
>
> Lee
Yes cingular has CSD 9600 baud using plan min or nite/weekend min.

I tried Cingular, could not use my phone as a modem, without incurring extra
charges. It would not connect, so i called 3 times, got the same answer. You
have to buy data minutes.

"DonR." <drennardnospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I tried Cingular, could not use my phone as a modem, without incurring
extra
> charges. It would not connect, so i called 3 times, got the same answer.
You
> have to buy data minutes.
>
> "Lee" <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >I am trying to make a decision regarding the above two. With Verizon I
can
> >take their $39 plan and still connect to my ISP and get my mail and d/l
the
> >ng's with out any additional charges. Is this also possible with
Cingular
> >with out any additional charges?
> >
> > Lee

Never heard of data minutes, but my voice minutes work fine for CSD with
cingular as ISP. Some people have trouble getting their account set properly
to use CSD guess that could be your data minutes, the call does show as a
data call but uses voice minutes and if at nite on weekend it uses those
minutes.

"DonR." <drennardnospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I tried Cingular, could not use my phone as a modem, without incurring
>extra charges. It would not connect, so i called 3 times, got the same
>answer. You have to buy data minutes.

Many people get the dial-up for free on their account. If not, there is an
option for 3.99/month to allow you to dial in using only your minutes.
Depending on your usage, the one of the data packages (GPRS/EDGE per KB or
MB) or unlimted GPRS/EDGE could be a better choice.

Lee wrote:
> I am trying to make a decision regarding the above two. With Verizon I
> can take their $39 plan and still connect to my ISP and get my mail and
> d/l the ng's with out any additional charges. Is this also possible
> with Cingular with out any additional charges?

How are you doing that with Verizon? Friend of mine is getting the
run-a-round trying to set that up. As described in his email:

"Just got off the phone with verizon (wireless carrier) apparently they
dont support quick net data service on the evo software video picture
phones in this case the lgvx 80000. if i want data connectivity, they
are forcing me to subscribe to a higher cost data package. (which is a
bunch of bullshit) 2 hrs spent/ wasted today just with verizon not
including time spent with susteen/data pilot."

In fact, just posted that question in the Verizon NG this afternoon.

lee

DecTxCowboy wrote:

> How are you doing that with Verizon? Friend of mine is getting the
> run-a-round trying to set that up. As described in his email:
>
> "Just got off the phone with verizon (wireless carrier) apparently they
> dont support quick net data service on the evo software video picture
> phones in this case the lgvx 80000. if i want data connectivity, they
> are forcing me to subscribe to a higher cost data package. (which is a
> bunch of bullshit) 2 hrs spent/ wasted today just with verizon not
> including time spent with susteen/data pilot."
>
> In fact, just posted that question in the Verizon NG this afternoon.

Sorry I am not yet a subscriber to Verizon but from what I understood it
was #777 and you would gain access this is according to what I read in
the rec.outdoors.rv-travel where they seem to use it (Verison) to access
the internet while on the road. Hope this is of some help!

Lee

It is alleged that DecTxCowboy claimed:

; How are you doing that with Verizon? Friend of mine is getting the
; run-a-round trying to set that up. As described in his email:

See the thread in alt.cellular.verizon "Verizon Worsens America's
Choice Calling Plan--No more roaming, even at extra cost, No more
National Single Rate Plan." With the original America's Choice plan
(which I have), you could do data on "Minutes of Use", so long as you
didn't go overboard with it. The new "America's Choice" plan
apparently does away with this, forcing new users or new contracts to
purchase a data plan if they want to use data as well as voice.

One of the data plans is "Pay per KB" at $0.00/month, but metered at
$0.015 (1.5 cents)/kB ($15/MB).

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Water. Fascinating. I never touch the stuff myself." (Amb. Mollari,
B5 "A Voice in the Wilderness I")

Lee wrote:

> Sorry I am not yet a subscriber to Verizon but from what I understood it
> was #777 and you would gain access this is according to what I read in
> the rec.outdoors.rv-travel where they seem to use it (Verison) to access
> the internet while on the road. Hope this is of some help!

Yeah, #777 in the standard Windows connectoid works for Sprint too. you
don't need specail software or anything. set it up just like a dial-up
modem account.