PSU + 6 Pin Video Card Connector

ninjai117

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I just got a new motherboard after frying my last one through hooking my video card up to my power supply. I can't seem to find the correct direction on this, or understand the correct way to do this.

My OCZ 700W PSU (modular) has 2 blue 6 pin ports in it. I connect the 2 blue 6 pin cables I got with my power supply to them, then plug them into my video card. The moment I did this, it fried my motherboard (and possibly my video card). My PSU tester beeps and shuts off when I plug the 6 pin into it (either one of them).

I sought after some voltage diagrams, but I'm not sure which are correct. I've seen ones where 3 are ground, the other 3 are supposed to be 12v, and I've seen where 3 are ground and the other 3 are 3.3, 5, and 12v.

I took my own voltage readings with a multimeter, and I will attempt to illustrate in the voltage readings in the exact order of the pins.

Cable 1:
GND GND GND
12.4v 5.08v 3.42v
bottom

Cable 2:
GND GND GND
5.08v 3.42v 12.42v
bottom

When I say top, I mean that's the side the disconnect clip is on. Cable 2 has an optionally attachable 2 pin connection so I can make it into an 8 pin, however that produces 0 volts.

Am I crazy or is something wrong with my power supply?

EDIT:

I found this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/psu/116

Is there really supposed to be 2 12v rails, and 3 ground?

Either your PSU is miswired (doubtful) or you plugged PCIe cables into the wrong sockets (more likely).

The 6 pin PCIe cables (if they are built with standard colored wires) will have three black (ground) wires on the clip side of the connector and three yellow wires (12 volts) on the other side. Additionally, they are keyed so the should fit anywhere else.

The 8 pin PCIe cables add two extra ground wires. It is also wired differently from the 8 pin CPU connector (4 yellow, 4 black wires).

I really, really think you plugged the PCI cables into the wrong socket on the PSU. Carefully read the PSU manual.

Not rails, just two lines.

Don't know. I have an unistalled 4870 with two 6 pin power connectors. All six lines on both connectors are used.