Thinkpad recovery disk/partition

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 3:07:56 PM

I'm trying to help a friend set up a used IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a
sticker on the bottom with the License Key, but it came with only a disk
containing some drivers and no Windows disk. ISTR that the Thinkpads may
have had a recovery partition on the drive instead of a separate
recovery disk.

Now he is trying to install a printer and gets told to insert the Win98
CD. He called the local computer store where he bought the machine, but
they tell him he'll have to get a Win98 disk on eBay or from M$.

I do have a Win98 disk I'll let him use to get the printer installed,
but I have questions:

1. If there is indeed a Recovery Partition on the drive, how would one
access a specific driver from it?

2. If there is no Recovery Partition and a Win98 disk was originally
supplied with the machine, was it kosher for the store to sell him the
machine without that disk? (A private sale would be a different story
perhaps.)

Perce
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 3:07:57 PM

"Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to help a friend set up a used IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a
> sticker on the bottom with the License Key, but it came with only a
disk
> containing some drivers and no Windows disk. ISTR that the Thinkpads
may
> have had a recovery partition on the drive instead of a separate
> recovery disk.
>
> Now he is trying to install a printer and gets told to insert the
Win98
> CD. He called the local computer store where he bought the machine,
but
> they tell him he'll have to get a Win98 disk on eBay or from M$.
>
> I do have a Win98 disk I'll let him use to get the printer installed,
> but I have questions:
>
> 1. If there is indeed a Recovery Partition on the drive, how would one
> access a specific driver from it?
>
> 2. If there is no Recovery Partition and a Win98 disk was originally
> supplied with the machine, was it kosher for the store to sell him the
> machine without that disk? (A private sale would be a different story
> perhaps.)

ASFAIK, IBM didn't start using the hidden partition restoration software
until much later models with Win2k ??? and WinXP.

Resale is always a buyer beware situation - caveat emptor!

You may be able to find a disk for the TP 600 on eBay but beware there
were quite a few different models and not every disk will work with your
TP. Also, they function by formatting the HDD and reinstalling the
factory load so you will loose all data and updates that might be on the
machine.

The Mickysoft COA sticker on the bottom may or may not cover additional
owners, you would have to check that out.

Chas.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 4:01:56 PM

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

> I'm trying to help a friend set up a used IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a
> sticker on the bottom with the License Key, but it came with only a disk
> containing some drivers and no Windows disk. ISTR that the Thinkpads may
> have had a recovery partition on the drive instead of a separate
> recovery disk.
>
> Now he is trying to install a printer and gets told to insert the Win98
> CD. He called the local computer store where he bought the machine, but
> they tell him he'll have to get a Win98 disk on eBay or from M$.
>
> I do have a Win98 disk I'll let him use to get the printer installed,
> but I have questions:
>
> 1. If there is indeed a Recovery Partition on the drive, how would one
> access a specific driver from it?
>
> 2. If there is no Recovery Partition and a Win98 disk was originally
> supplied with the machine, was it kosher for the store to sell him the
> machine without that disk? (A private sale would be a different story
> perhaps.)

You might want to also post this in ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

on my dell it is a key combination like alt-f11
"Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to help a friend set up a used IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a
> sticker on the bottom with the License Key, but it came with only a disk
> containing some drivers and no Windows disk. ISTR that the Thinkpads may
> have had a recovery partition on the drive instead of a separate recovery
> disk.
>
> Now he is trying to install a printer and gets told to insert the Win98
> CD. He called the local computer store where he bought the machine, but
> they tell him he'll have to get a Win98 disk on eBay or from M$.
>
> I do have a Win98 disk I'll let him use to get the printer installed, but
> I have questions:
>
> 1. If there is indeed a Recovery Partition on the drive, how would one
> access a specific driver from it?
>
> 2. If there is no Recovery Partition and a Win98 disk was originally
> supplied with the machine, was it kosher for the store to sell him the
> machine without that disk? (A private sale would be a different story
> perhaps.)
>
> Perce
June 18, 2005 5:35:39 AM

Did you check to see if it has a Win98 folder? You could redirect the
request for CD there.
Terry

"Percival P. Cassidy" <Nobody@NotMyISP.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to help a friend set up a used IBM Thinkpad 600. It has a
> sticker on the bottom with the License Key, but it came with only a disk
> containing some drivers and no Windows disk. ISTR that the Thinkpads may
> have had a recovery partition on the drive instead of a separate recovery
> disk.
>
> Now he is trying to install a printer and gets told to insert the Win98
> CD. He called the local computer store where he bought the machine, but
> they tell him he'll have to get a Win98 disk on eBay or from M$.
>
> I do have a Win98 disk I'll let him use to get the printer installed, but
> I have questions:
>
> 1. If there is indeed a Recovery Partition on the drive, how would one
> access a specific driver from it?
>
> 2. If there is no Recovery Partition and a Win98 disk was originally
> supplied with the machine, was it kosher for the store to sell him the
> machine without that disk? (A private sale would be a different story
> perhaps.)
>
> Perce

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 5:35:40 AM

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> Did you check to see if it has a Win98 folder? You could redirect the
> request for CD there.

Good point, I forgot about that. Some systems have the Win98 CD files in
the Options folder either in the root or within Windows. I've even done
that myself on several laptops and PC that I messed around with a lot.

Chas.
!