Phenom II X4 955 hitting almost 70 degrees

aeternam

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi Guys,

My specs are as follows: Phenom II X4 955 BE, Never Overclocked, Stock Heatsink
Asus M4A785-M Mobo, 8GB DDR2 Ram PC2-6400, Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB, XION PowerReal 850W PSU, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

This is not a brand new build, though I did build the comp. myself about 6 months ago. I recently upgraded the graphics card from 4850 to 6870 (a few days ago) and also added 4gb RAM yesterday. Everything runs cool except my CPU.

My CPU temps idle at about 45-46C and it concerned me so I just ran the blended stress test for prime95 and after about 30secons to 1 minute, the temps rose to 68, 69 C, so I quickly stopped the test cause I got scared.

I have a Rosewill Challenger Mid ATX case with a front fan, top fan and rear fan, all set properly for intake and exhaust. I just did cable management and cleaned dust from the inside of the comp. the other day. The temps in my apartment are about 62 degrees Fahrenheit.

What should I do to reduce my temperatures? I have some Arctic Silver 5 which I could apply, but should I just get another cooler instead? Or do I have a different, more serious problem?

I don't know much about CPU temps so please be kind- I tried to provide all the information necessary & I need expert advice.

Thank you very much! :)

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Those temps are "normal" for the stock cooler that you have, if you can goo with a cooler like Hyper 212+ you will see much better temps.

aeternam

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Great to know! Thank you for such a quick response.. I appreciate your help

aeternam

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Do you think the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 or 13 are equally as good? I know the Hyper 212+ is very highly rated, but I don't really want to have to remove my motherboard to install a back plate. I'd really rather have a quick and easy installation for this, if possible..

aeternam

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Yeah, that's what I've heard..I guess I'll just get the Hyper 212+ and deal with the installation.
Ghnader, do you have any opinion as to why you think it's too high?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Some does cleaning has to be in order..
You havent cleaned your pc for sometime mate..Take a can of air and clean all the dust out of your pc.most enthusiast would say you need to clean out your pc every once a month.

jordanjr23

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
i have a very similar build , same case,cpu and video card but with a hyper 212+
i oc'd my 955 to 3.9ghz and it idles around 32c and it never goes above 46 in prime95.
so definitely get a 212+ its really worth the $30. maybe even add another 120mm intake fan on the side of the challenger, it helps.