Sign in with
Your question

Is my motherboard or PSU gone?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 11, 2012 2:53:55 PM

Today, when my room was getting cleaned, the cable that supply energy to my UPS was removed involuntarily.
I didn't notice that was the cable early on, I tried some things, turned on my pc and hard shutdown it after I imagine it was the cable (hard shutdown before even reaching any screen, maybe it was during POST).

After fixing the problem I went having launch. Then I came back and tried to turn on my computer.
Now, only the Power fan turn on. No other fans are turned on, nothing on screen, no beeps (no cpu fans too).

Notice that my computer is pretty new, 1 year old:
Quote:
RAM DDR3 Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 1600MHz 6GB (6x2GB) CL8-8-8-24
CPU Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 125W Boxed BX80601950
Noctua NH-D14 socket 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3 140mm
Cooler Master HAF X Nero Windowed
SSD OCZ RevoDrive 80GB PCI-E x4
LiteOn iHAS624 24x DVD/CD Lightscribe SATA
VGA Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti "GS" Core 900MHz Memory GDDR5 4200MHz 1GB 2xDVI-I VGA HDMI
Hard Disk Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" Intellipower 32MB SATA2

PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX850 850W 80Plus SLI-Ready
ASUS Rampage III Extreme - ATX - LGA-1366 - 24 GB DDR3 SDRAM - Serial ATA/600, Serial ATA/300 - 7.1 Channel ( 90-MIBC10-G0EAY00Z )

I don't understand if my motherboard is short circuited or my PSU is gone. Notice that everything was working fine, so I think this is related to recent events.

The PSU turn on to feed power for the fan, the motherboard has all leds turned on and if I press reset bios setting button it restarts computer.

Any suggestion on what is happening here? I can't smell any burnt component, if possible I would like to avoid to reseat cpu ( I did it 2 weeks ago ) because I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks for any suggestion

More about : motherboard psu

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 3:53:04 PM

I wouldn't touch any of the components without grounding yourself; the safest way is to use an esd strap, available for as little as $1 at some stores or possibly goodwill stores that sell computer parts. I would bypass the UPS and just plug your power supply directly into a wall outlet just for testing, and try posting again. You may also remove your motherboard battery with the power supply unplugged, and replace after one minute. That will reset your bios for sure. Then try posting again. Good luck.
June 11, 2012 5:41:21 PM

I removed all components connected to the computer and left it unplugged for 15mins~, then when I plugged in it again, everything worked again. However I clicked some buttons on my motherboard which says "PANEL" (and this I don't know what it means) and "GND", which I think is "ground", so maybe that button fixed the short circuit.

@o1die: I read your post too late, lucky I didn't destroy anything.
Related resources
June 11, 2012 5:46:35 PM

Maybe I didn't destroy anything because I kept a hand on a metal part of the case all time because I heared it somewhere... Should this avoid static shocking?
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 6:23:47 PM

Most of the time; but internal circuit damage is difficult to pinpoint; best to play it safe and use the esd strap everytime you touch anything inside your pc. I worked at dell, and we had esd boot straps which were more convenient, but the assemblers sometimes had the strap snapped onto metal plates at all times and a circuit meter to check to be sure they made good contact.
June 11, 2012 6:30:56 PM

Yeah, I'm looking for a place to buy them, I was looking on amazon but because I'm living in Italy, it costs 30$ tax + postal service :\

Thanks anyway!
!