game for game boy on a game boy color : in color ???

Hi
A game designed for game boy will play in color on a game boy color ?
Are they as speedy and pretty as a GB Color's game?
Thank you
eric
3 answers Last reply
More about game game game color color

    Kyle wrote:

    > Hi
    > A game designed for game boy will play in color on a game boy color ?
    > Are they as speedy and pretty as a GB Color's game?
    > Thank you
    > eric

    Well, basically what happens is that the Gameboy color will apply a
    rudimentry color palette to the old game that just replaces the
    different shades of grey with certain predfined colors.

    In laymen's terms, no they will not be as pretty as a GB color game and
    no where near as pretty as a GBA game.

    Speedwise, nothing should change.

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:21:40 -0600, "CJ" <CJ@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Kyle wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> A game designed for game boy will play in color on a game boy color ?
    >> Are they as speedy and pretty as a GB Color's game?
    >> Thank you
    >> eric
    >
    >Well, basically what happens is that the Gameboy color will apply a
    >rudimentry color palette to the old game that just replaces the
    >different shades of grey with certain predfined colors.
    >
    >In laymen's terms, no they will not be as pretty as a GB color game and
    >no where near as pretty as a GBA game.
    >
    >Speedwise, nothing should change.

    I believe -- but could be wrong -- that this is true of older games made
    before the GBC was dreamed up, but that _some_ games made later were "dual
    mode": in a B&W GB, they would be just black and white (did it have grey?);
    but the cart. would recognise a GBC and use more of its potential (rather
    than just apply a "default" palette. I also believe that the GBC "knew"
    certain old B&W games and applied a game-specific palette (rather than a
    "one-size fits all" palette).

    Regards,

    some games just happen to work better than others. metroid and kirby both
    look excellent, probably two of the best, some other games aren't so lucky.
    any game not published by nintendo will use the same default blue/green
    scheme. major games published by nintendo tend to use a pretty nice built-in
    scheme.

    "Graham Holden" <look@bottom.of.post> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:21:40 -0600, "CJ" <CJ@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Kyle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> A game designed for game boy will play in color on a game boy color ?
    >>> Are they as speedy and pretty as a GB Color's game?
    >>> Thank you
    >>> eric
    >>
    >>Well, basically what happens is that the Gameboy color will apply a
    >>rudimentry color palette to the old game that just replaces the
    >>different shades of grey with certain predfined colors.
    >>
    >>In laymen's terms, no they will not be as pretty as a GB color game and
    >>no where near as pretty as a GBA game.
    >>
    >>Speedwise, nothing should change.
    >
    > I believe -- but could be wrong -- that this is true of older games made
    > before the GBC was dreamed up, but that _some_ games made later were "dual
    > mode": in a B&W GB, they would be just black and white (did it have
    > grey?);
    > but the cart. would recognise a GBC and use more of its potential (rather
    > than just apply a "default" palette. I also believe that the GBC "knew"
    > certain old B&W games and applied a game-specific palette (rather than a
    > "one-size fits all" palette).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Graham Holden (g-holden AT dircon DOT co DOT uk)
    > --
    > There are 10 types of people in the world;
    > those that understand binary and those that don't.

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games