Canon G6 & Conversion Lenses

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 8, 2005 1:49:13 PM

Canon states in the G6 manual that "the Wide Converter WC-DC58 and the
Tele-converter TC-DC58 for the Powershot G1/G2 are not recommended (for the
G6) since shooting problems may occur"

Please could anyone tell me what the specific problems are or point me at
previous discussion or information.

Thanks,
Matt.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:47:49 PM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:49:13 +0000, Matthew Nettle <M@hew.net> wrote:

>Canon states in the G6 manual that "the Wide Converter WC-DC58 and the
>Tele-converter TC-DC58 for the Powershot G1/G2 are not recommended (for the
>G6) since shooting problems may occur"
>
>Please could anyone tell me what the specific problems are or point me at
>previous discussion or information.

For the G6 you seem to need the WC/TC-DC58N series of converters ..
FWIW
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:02:58 PM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:47:49 +0000, imbsysop wrote
(in article <m54r21p9avluojsnf3usnftk1771rjjju0@4ax.com>):

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:49:13 +0000, Matthew Nettle <M@hew.net> wrote:
>
>> Canon states in the G6 manual that "the Wide Converter WC-DC58 and the
>> Tele-converter TC-DC58 for the Powershot G1/G2 are not recommended (for the
>> G6) since shooting problems may occur"
>>
>> Please could anyone tell me what the specific problems are or point me at
>> previous discussion or information.
>
> For the G6 you seem to need the WC/TC-DC58N series of converters ..
> FWIW

Thanks, yes. I wondered why. I see some softness in my WC-DC58 which clears
with a small 58mm extending ring, however then vignetting becomes an issue.
So far, (i.e. without extensive testing) I'm not seeing anything too bad with
my TC-DC58 with or without the extending ring.

I suppose the implied part of my query is - bearing in mind the optical
limitations of a compact digital camera anyway, what do I get for giving
Canon more money that I can't get another way?

Matt
!