Best cpu to send two video streams

out_of_my_depth

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello,
I want to send 2 video streams using splitcam to yahoo messenger and Skype. Any suggestions on best cpu/ram to achieve this would be much appreciated

If you check their website it gives a list of system requirements...

Video conferencing requirements
A computer with Pentium III processor running at 600 MHz or better;
Web camera;
Internet connection of at least 56 kbs;
Video conferencing software.
SplitCam requirements
Your web camera must use WDM driver to capture video; contact your web camera manufacturer for the latest drivers;
Your video communication software must be capable of accepting video in standard uncompressed RGB 24 bit encoding.

^ means that pretty much any relatively modern computer will do what you want it to do easily.

out_of_my_depth

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Thanks for the reply itzdanielp. My concern was the relatively high CPU load when handling video. Splitcam is CPU hungry and I know Skype can be too. I was concerned that the PC would become very slow and unresponsive. I was also unsure whether Intel Graphics would be OK or whether it is bette to have a graphics card.

of course it is always better to have a dedicated GPU, but most onboard cards can handle it.

Also, if you have a multi-core CPU, that will drastically lower your CPU usage, as 1 core can be used for skype / Yahoo messenger, and 1 core could be used for splitcam.

out_of_my_depth

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Thanks again itzdanielp...I will get a secondhand PC with an i5-750 and dedicated GPU