Sign in with
Your question

Need Build Input (Intel Based)

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2011 2:51:38 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Mid July

Budget Range: I cannot spend more than $2800 on this computer before mail-in rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, HD Video editing/playback, school/internet usage, various multimedia purposes(music, pictures, ect.)

Parts Not Required: None, buying everything for this computer, need all the basics.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel, EVGA, Corsair, G.Skill, Asus, Samsung(good exp with monitors), logitech, Nvidia

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes(Only buying one card at time of initial build. Plan to purchase second for SLI toward years end)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I want to make a multimedia PC that's capable of higher performance gaming that I can also use for internet surfing, schoolwork, movies/HD video editing, and other general uses.
As you'll see in my parts list I chose a very expensive motherboard because it supports sli in 16x-16x, I've read one doesn't take much of a hit in performance with 16x-8x yet 8x-8x does yield significantly lower performance, can anyone comment on this? If this doesn't matter then I certainly wouldn't mind picking a slightly less expensive board. I also chose two SSDs, I'm still very conflicted with them because of the supposed read/write limits and their price of course. I also chose two western digitals to be put in raid-0 for media files, and games and programs for which I really wouldn't care about a major speed increase such as Firefox, skype, or similar programs.

Motherboard:
ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel

Graphics Card:
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi)

SSD (Quantity: 2):
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

HDD (Quantity: 2):
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Processor:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

CPU Heatsink:
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm Long life bearing CPU

RAM (Quantity: 2 packs total 16GB)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Power Supply:
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready

Monitor:
SAMSUNG S24A350H ToC Rose Black 24" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Drive (Blu-Ray Burner):
SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner

This doesn't include the mouse, keyboard, OS, misc software/games however I just wanted to get input/advice/recommendations on the hardware chouces, everything look like it would work correct?
June 25, 2011 3:28:15 PM

Upgrade the ram to 1600MHz.
Looks like a quality build presuming that you are thinking SLI in the future.
m
l
June 25, 2011 3:32:22 PM

16X/8x is the same as 8x/8x, so performance wouldn't be higher or lower. The sabertooth is a great mobo IMO, though any P8P67 would do. Also, RAID SSDs still don't support TRIM, so I would advise against that, besides, a 240GB Vertex 3 shouldn't be much slower even compared to two of the Crucials in RAID0.
Your build right now is looking a bit overspecced, as you can easily max out 1080p with far cheaper parts.

On the GPU, GTX580 has a pretty bad performance/price, a GTX 570 offers ~85+%
(or this if you really like EVGA)

I would advise against RAID0 also, the extra risk isnt worth it over the little performance boost you get. A good 2-platter 1TB drive would do you well. IMO, Hitachis works pretty well also.

Then, you wont need a 1000W PSU even with 2 GTX580s, a higher efficiency 850W should save you a bit of money on your power bill while costing less.

Other than that, perhaps some faster RAM, but the performance difference is minimal for the most part.

m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2011 3:32:47 PM

Thanks for the input, rolli59, I had a question on RAM, when your dealing with RAM at 1600MHz and above, is there anything you need to be concerned with as far as the BIOS is concerned with the motherboard?
m
l
June 25, 2011 3:40:39 PM

Thanks for the link, rolli59.

Timop:

So there's no difference between 16x-16x and 8x-8x then? I'm going to be using a single monitor(Or TV in some instances) I just would like to have really nice quality on both.

From what I've read I'm thinking I may opt for some RAM at 1600MHz.

m
l
June 25, 2011 3:42:25 PM

negativelychrgd said:
Thanks for the link, rolli59.

Timop:

So there's no difference between 16x-16x and 8x-8x then? I'm going to be using a single monitor(Or TV in some instances) I just would like to have really nice quality on both.

From what I've read I'm thinking I may opt for some RAM at 1600MHz.

For non-dual GPU cards the most you'll be looking at is perhaps 3%. By quality you do mean fps right?
m
l
June 25, 2011 3:47:49 PM

Yes I mean fps.

It looks as if the 570 may be a nice choice actually. I would like to do SLI though and I will likely pick up a second one later in the year. I'm anticipating the new elder scrolls game "Skyrim" amongst others and I want to make sure I can run it well :)  at 1920X1200.
m
l
!