HP ze4325 won't boot from non-OEM cdrw

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 5:52:47 PM

This is extremely lame... I have a ze4325 that REFUSES to boot from a
matsushita(panasonic) cdrw drive! If I replace the original QSI(?)
dvd/cdrw combo drive, it boots from the drive with no problem.

I've upgraded the BIOS, and the problem still persists. Does anyone
know of a way that I can get this POS to boot from the matsushita cdrw
drive?

There is a "built in" boot agent (something like PXE), but getting into
the config didn't change anything. Please post if you can help, Thanks!

More about : ze4325 boot oem cdrw

Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 6:22:45 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, once it tries to boot from the HD &
skips over the optical drive, the PXE thing comes up.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 7:50:39 PM

The only drive in device manager is the matsushita drive. It's as if
from a BIOS standpoint, the optical drive doesn't exist (well, it
powers on and can be opened & everything, it just won't boot from it).
The drive works perfectly fine once windows has booted though.

It's like some sort of built in "HP" drive removal protection or
something :(  Anyone else have any ideas??
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 8:15:49 PM

Not sure about the firmware for the matsushita drive, but I pulled it
out of a panasonic laptop that was able to boot from it (the matsushita
drive) just fine.

The BIOS on the HP is very feature-LESS, it only shows the fixed drive
and doesn't even acknowledge a cdrom device (regardless of which
optical drive is installed). You can only change the boot *order* of
devices, you cannot disable individual devices. (no auto detect or
reset escd data options)

I have upgraded the BIOS on the HP mainboard as mentioned in my other
post, and have used BIOS default settings so I don't think that will
help (clearing CMOS).

Now, if I pull the HD out and boot with a bootable cd in the drive, it
seems to spin up for a bit, but then defaults to trying to boot with
the PXE LAN boot agent thing.

I'm really stumped by this whole thing. Is there possibly some sort of
jumpers on the laptop's mainboard that would be related? (if anyone
knows)...?
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 8:21:58 PM

krinshaw876@yahoo.com wrote:
> This is extremely lame... I have a ze4325 that REFUSES to boot from a
> matsushita(panasonic) cdrw drive! If I replace the original QSI(?)
> dvd/cdrw combo drive, it boots from the drive with no problem.
>
> I've upgraded the BIOS, and the problem still persists. Does anyone
> know of a way that I can get this POS to boot from the matsushita cdrw
> drive?
>
> There is a "built in" boot agent (something like PXE), but getting
> into the config didn't change anything. Please post if you can help,
> Thanks!

Have you removed the QSI drive from device manager?

a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 8:50:30 PM

Yes, I'm aware of M/S/CS settings on drives (I've been building
desktops since 1998). No jumpers at all on the cd drive and the model
number is : UJDA340. I also see stamped on it what appears to be a
firmware revision: 130KMP (maybe, maybe not). After I post this I'm
going to look up the drive online for a possible firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the repeated replies, I really want to solve this issue :)
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 9:24:33 PM

No luck on any firmware sources :(  Firmware rev. is 1.50 (courtesy of
dvdinfo pro). I've reset the BIOS defaults and have cleared the cmos
data as well with no changes.

This is a real puzzle....all I can think of is that there is some sort
of code written into the BIOS to ignore the drive unless it is of a
certain make.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 1:15:35 AM

On 17 Jun 2005 13:52:47 -0700, krinshaw876@yahoo.com wrote:

>This is extremely lame... I have a ze4325 that REFUSES to boot from a
>matsushita(panasonic) cdrw drive! If I replace the original QSI(?)
>dvd/cdrw combo drive, it boots from the drive with no problem.
>
>I've upgraded the BIOS, and the problem still persists. Does anyone
>know of a way that I can get this POS to boot from the matsushita cdrw
>drive?
>
>There is a "built in" boot agent (something like PXE), but getting into
>the config didn't change anything. Please post if you can help, Thanks!

PXE is for booting from a network and has nothing to do with local
booting.
June 18, 2005 2:49:26 AM

Quaoar <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:
: krinshaw876@yahoo.com wrote:
: > This is extremely lame... I have a ze4325 that REFUSES to boot from a
: > matsushita(panasonic) cdrw drive! If I replace the original QSI(?)
: > dvd/cdrw combo drive, it boots from the drive with no problem.
: >
: > I've upgraded the BIOS, and the problem still persists. Does anyone
: > know of a way that I can get this POS to boot from the matsushita cdrw
: > drive?
: >
: > There is a "built in" boot agent (something like PXE), but getting
: > into the config didn't change anything. Please post if you can help,
: > Thanks!

: Have you removed the QSI drive from device manager?

Device manager doesn't exist at boot time - that's a Windows thing.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 18, 2005 3:02:29 AM

krinshaw876@yahoo.com wrote:
: This is extremely lame... I have a ze4325 that REFUSES to boot from a
: matsushita(panasonic) cdrw drive! If I replace the original QSI(?)
: dvd/cdrw combo drive, it boots from the drive with no problem.

: I've upgraded the BIOS, and the problem still persists. Does anyone
: know of a way that I can get this POS to boot from the matsushita cdrw
: drive?

: There is a "built in" boot agent (something like PXE), but getting into
: the config didn't change anything. Please post if you can help, Thanks!

Is there an updated firmware available for the matsushita drive?

In BIOS setup, what happens if you disable "boot from hard drive" and
put only the CD in the boot list? Does the CD spin at all? Or does
the computer act like the CD drive isn't there?

Is there an auto-detect for IDE devices in your BIOS?

How about clearing the CMOS settings/restoring to defaults? (Did you
do that after BIOS upgrade?)

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
June 18, 2005 3:22:02 AM

krinshaw876@yahoo.com wrote:
: Not sure about the firmware for the matsushita drive, but I pulled it
: out of a panasonic laptop that was able to boot from it (the matsushita
: drive) just fine.

: The BIOS on the HP is very feature-LESS, it only shows the fixed drive
: and doesn't even acknowledge a cdrom device (regardless of which
: optical drive is installed). You can only change the boot *order* of
: devices, you cannot disable individual devices. (no auto detect or
: reset escd data options)

: I have upgraded the BIOS on the HP mainboard as mentioned in my other
: post, and have used BIOS default settings so I don't think that will
: help (clearing CMOS).

Doesn't matter. If you can clear the CMOS, do it anyway. It could
be stuck with an old setting remembered from the old CD drive.

What is the exact model number of the Matsushita drive? Even if it
could boot on the old laptop, firmware updates might help it boot in
the HP.

Are there any jumpers on the CD drive itself? On Desktop CD drives,
you have master/slave jumpers.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----