Vince22

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hello, I I currently have a single sapphire 4850 1GB. I want to know if I'll get a big performance boost by getting an addiionAl 4850x2 gfx card, and how big of one? It would basically be a trifire right?
I have a sufficient psu, and mobo with both lanes at x16

IT would be paired with an athlon II x4 630 @2.8ghz
Running at either 1920x1080 or 1280x1024, which ever one is optimal for the setup...

Thanks for takin the time to answer!

yeah personally Id rather have a single 6950/70 or gtx 570/80 instead of dealing with the issues that come along with adding one let alone two more 4850s, trust me when I say that it is not worth the headache and when you are three way crossfiring a weaker card such as the 4850 your minimum fps will suffer great;y I say get a gtx 570 or 6950/70 and you will be good to go, also like rolli said look in the oc section for advice, as long as you meet certain heat and stability envelopes it is fine and nonetheless a great skill to have if you like to build your own pcs and save some money! also consider the make and model of your psu, what is it? it may not be sufficient to deal with any card upgrade, please let us the know the make and model of your psu

yes totally agreed, good advice

I would not want to deal with all that heat. You will need alot of airflow over the cards to keep them cool.

Power consumption would be a so much higher than a single new gen card. Also, you are missing out on DX11 and all the other goodies. I think it is time to upgrade my friend, not add.