Suggest Motherboard for my config.

Jaxx89

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Alright here is my config
jVMOm.jpg

I might have to replace my motherboard as it seems to be giving problems.

Please suggest a motherboard that would be good for my config, overclockable and upgradeable in the future.

Thank you.

1366 is a dead slot type. I could tell you something that would work to keep it hobbling along, but I wouldn't expect too much for future upgradeability in the future if I were you.

For that matter you might as well just get another one of the same kind of motherboard that you already have, that way you don't have to reinstall Windows and delete all your programs and stuff in the process.

You would have equal suckage in the future regardless unless Intel surprises everyone by going back to 1366, then you would be looking like a psychic.

$170 after MIR! His I7 is still a good CPU with a good overclocking potential and as you know we are at the last iteration of LGA1155 which in any case with a decent motherboard would be double the price! Best case scenario is that his board is still in warranty but I do not think replacing a dead LGA1366 board is inadvisable.
Highest rated CPU's for both platforms! http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/444?vs=551

I guess if future upgrade potential entails buying a $1000+ 990x which only gets more expensive most likely vs a $400 3770k which will only get less expensive. At best the extra $600 would buy you worse performance in most things.

Also, I fail to see how it would be double the price if he ebayed his current thing.

If he could get anything reasonable like $150 for the processor he could trade it for a 3570k with about the same out of pocket as that motherboard will run him and he would be many generations better off.

My processor/board combo at Micro Center was $270 in total. That would only be a $120 kick in after a reasonable ebay of $150 if he had one of those around.

Can't try to get a cheap motherboard there for 1366, because they don't have any at all.

If it were me, I would bite the bullet and kiss the 920 goodbye.

- Edit - Clarity.

In a couple of years nobody is going to be paying $1000 for the 990X, it will still be a good CPU though. It is not many generations LGA1366 just got replaced by LGA2011 as Intel's high end long after LGA1155 was out.