AMD HW config CPU-Mem-MOB

sandman3838

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hello

I'm looking to put together a new system after the new AM3+ chips come out. Naturally I'm expecting the price on the current chips to drop after they do. With the current chip blow I can same and update later to a AM3+ chip later.

What do you think about the configuration that I have put together here. I'm trying to save money, keep my options open for expandability later down the road and put together items that will complement each other efficiently between Motherboard – CPU – Memory?

MOTHERBOARD:
GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Model #:GA-990XA-UD3

SPECKS -

Support for AMD AM3+ FX processors
Support for AMD AM3 Phenom™ II processors / AMD Athlon™ II processors
Hyper Transport Bus 5200 MT/s

North Bridge: AMD 990X
South Bridge: AMD SB950

Supported Memory
1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory (Note 1)
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2)

PROCESSOR:
AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBGMBOX
Model #:HDZ975FBGMBOX

SPECKS -
Core Deneb
Multi-Core Quad-Core
Name Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition
Operating Frequency 3.6GHz
Hyper Transports 4000MHz
L2 Cache 4 x 512KB
L3 Cache 6MB

MEMORY:
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M2A2000C10
Model #:CMZ4GX3M2A2000C10

SPECKS -
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 2000
Cas Latency 10
Timing 10-10-10-27
Voltage 1.5V

VIDEO CARD
GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-N460OC2-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready ...
Model #:GV-N460OC2-1GI
Item #:N82E16814125352

SPECKS -
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
Core Clock 760MHz
Shader Clock 1520MHz
Stream Processors 336 Processor Cores
Memory Effective Memory Clock 3600MHz
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR5

Thank you for your time and opinions.

Have a great day. :)

striker410

Distinguished
Cool, but a bad choice IMO. I would go with a nice Z68 LGA 1155 board and 2500k. Why? The 2500k is the best processor around right now, and it's said to outperform Bulldozer anyway. Plus Bulldozer is going to be released around the same time as Ivy Bridge, which means it's going to be outdated. I REALLY hate to say it, but Intel is the way to go right now.

You didnt hate to say that striker . You loved it . LOL

Bulldozer will be here in september . Ivy bridge is delayed , and there's no way to know if Bulldozer is stronger or weaker than any intel platform till its bench marked . Stories of AMD saying BD wasnt as good as intel are obvious bulls**7.

Can you imagine Ford ever telling people to buy a Chevy? Is that credible?

We do know that AMD sold every Fusion processor they could make . ie their 32nm plant was running at capacity . They have one FAB . They might be building a new BD stepping , but its because they have time to do so and not because they had to .

So back to the OP.

I'd save on the processor and use a 955 or even an 840 . The 955 is the exact same bit of silicon as the 975 and you can overclock it to 975 spec very easily .

Its never good value to buy very fast RAM . What you gain in MHz you loose in slacker timings . IMO buy some cl7 1600MHz . If you decide to overclock it it will run faster once you've set it to cl9

striker410

Distinguished

You don't miss a chance to troll, do you? Let me answer that, you don't. I'm running an AMD rig RIGHT NOW, Outlander. So before you accuse me of misinformation and fanboyism, it'd be good to actually know what you are talking about.
Now, I'm done with you. I refuse to debate this any longer, except in defense of my name. Get over yourself.
http://openbenchmarking.org/s/AMD%20Eng%20Sample%20ZS182045TGG43_2 I thought maybe this would act like holy water, since you refuse to do research or show benchmarks.

TO OP. Outlander had some good advice, especially with the ram. Not what I would choose, but good advice.

Same with the 955 over 975. Those 955's overclock very well.

Actually that was me trying to insert a bit of humor in to the space between our different points of view .

However its worth commenting once again on the things you say . That is not a benchmark of anything thats likely to turn up in a computer built by a reader of this forum . 32 cores at 1.8 Ghz ? How is this relevant, even?

There are NO Bulldozer benchmarks available publicly to my knowledge. There are some leaks which have been been proven to be faked and others than cant be verified and never mentioned clock speeds .

Right now theres no reason to assume BD is better or worse than intels sandy bridge . So what justification do you have for trying to scare people off an AMD build? Thats a rhetorical question BTW .

And thanks for asking .... Im using an Intel

striker410

Distinguished
I don't think that was humor at all, I think you know that.

I am done debating, we can disagree, but I have decided It only impacts people's view of us negatively when we squabble. I will put aside any difference in opinion and only give constructive comments from now on if you can do the same. This is a public forum with many people looking for help. I think we could both help more effectively if we were to discontinue our degrading debates.

I also would like to say I'm sorry for slandering you. I got defense, and lashed out. I will not do it again.

Regards, Striker.

It was intended as humor . I also do not want to argue

Timop

Distinguished
Geez, you really can't anything about BD before its release regardless of what "reviews" you found. Crippled BIOSes do exist believe it or not. Heck, I remember seeing a Quad-core Llano @2400Mhz trailing a E5300 by huge margin on that site just a couple of months ago. :<

spladam

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Wow, people get worked up about this. Someones a bit touchy about the fanboyism. Well fellas the bench marks are out, and I just ordered me a 6100 with a 990 mobo. Pretty stoked, great bang for the buck and great user reviews. Gonna put my 6850 in it and buy a twin eventually. This unlocks the "Scorpius" platform, which seems to be a kinda running joke, even with the AMD reps. Guy on NewEgg said you get the Scorpius achievement. Does anyone know if this means anything.