How do I slow down my CPU fan?

pumpkineater_38

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hi there!

I just installed a GELID Solutions Slim Silence AM2 65mm Ball CPU Cooler onto my ASUS M3A78-EM motherboard and the fan is always running at full speed (2586 RPM) with the CPU at 48C. I've tried to change the speed settings in the BIOS, but the only options seem to be full speed and Ignored.

I've installed Asus Cool n' Quiet and PC Probe, but neither seem to give me the option to slow down the fan. I'm a bit new when it comes to BIOS and building PCs, so sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but if anyone can help me cut the speed of this CPU fan in half, I would really appreciate it. Right now the thing sounds like a jet engine.

striker410

Distinguished
Well, it should automatically adjust depending on temperature.

The problem is your CPU is running hot, and the fan can't cope. You bought a crappy fan. What case do you have? We can help you pickout a much better fan with a little more info.

striker410

Distinguished

pumpkineater_38

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Awesome, thanks for the help. Sounds like it is time for me to upgrade both my cpu and fan.

I was just about to make the purchase for a AMD CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3 125W, but I noticed it was AM3. Would that processor run on my motherboard and would the fan you suggested still fit on it?

Latest posts