Asus motherboard

Ref2365_98

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hello All,
I am trying to build a gaming desktop, I am looking ASUS for motherboard, is this motherboard reliable? If so How can I choose one that I can have 32 gig of memory?
Thank you all for your help.
Jon

randomkid

Distinguished
ASUS is one of ( if not) the top motherboard manufacturers. Yes, they are reliable but so is other motherboard manufacturer like Gigabyte, Asrock & MSI.

If you are on a look out for a motherboard, you must first decide which platform you want:
1. What processor? AMD or Intel?
2. What socket (AMD - AM3+ or FM1; Intel 1155 or 2011?)

If you already have a choice of processor, please post what it is. It also help to state your budget.

Why do you want 32 GBs of RAM for a gaming computer?

Games don't use more than 2GBs and Windows uses like 2 GBs, at best everything you could possibly have open would use another 4 GBs if all you are doing is stuff like using web browsers and playing music and stuff on the computer and you disable the page file.

The extra 24 GBs will be completely wasted most likely. 2x 4GBs has been able to power every gaming system I have ever heard of.

Ref2365

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

I prefer Intel, the PC would be used mainly to edit movies and music. Therefore I thought gaming PC would be a good way to go!!??

Ref2365

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

The reason I am looking for 32 gig is I will be using the PC mainly for editing movies and music!! and I like the Intel platform.
Thank you for your help
Jon

If you intend to primarily do high end audio/video stuff, then its better to characterize it as a high end audio/video editing PC and make a small note somewhere you would like to be able to do gaming too.

The requirements for such computers are completely different.

I still don't think you need 32 GBs of RAM, but 16 might not hurt. I almost guarantee you can spend the other 2x 8GBs worth of $ more cost effectively than on the 17th through 32nd GBs of RAM.

Before we can really help you a whole lot we need to know a lot more about your budget and what you already have that you can use on the PC (if anything).

Ref2365

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Well, I really don't know how much I need to spend to get a powerful and stable PC, if I had to guess I would say would $1500 be a realistic amount? remember I don't want to go cheep.
Jon

Click the link in my signature and hit $1200.

Then trade that processor for a 2600k, the RAM for Crucial Ballistix 4x 4GBs 1600 RAM, and get a bigger SSD and you should be fine.

A different video card would be fine too if you have the $ to spare. GTX 680 is the best thing out if you have the money for that.