Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia does it support eyefinity+3D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
April 12, 2011 7:18:53 PM

Hello guys,
I am new to this forum, but I would like to ask a couple of questions regarding nvidia and ati GPU's.

Firstly, what I want to know is if nvidia has some kind of 'efefinity' setup which supports 3 monitors? I would like to know this because my ATI HD radean 6970 is a big pill of bullsh*t. I got seduced from all the ads and youtube videos and how cool it would be to have a 3 monitor display. Of course, they didn't mention how many times the error comes up saying "your display driver has succesfully recoverd" at first I thought that it would only happen once a month, but now it happens every single day when I play a game or if I multitaks on a lrge basis.

The problem is that there is no fix for this bug, and since you can't reach the ati support techs, I got fed up and now I want to switch to nvidia which the community say is much more reliable and doesn't glitch as much. I mean WTF I can't even play COD modernwarfare 2 ----originally bought------- without a ten minute glitch when Im playing full screen. Whats the point of eyefinity on ati when it glitches all the time and has to be reobted every now and than. My friend has a nvdia, which never needs to be reboted or glitched. Ati is responsible for not making it aware how the product they produce are "bleeding edge" of the GPU industry, how we the customers are their test dummies.

thanks in advance for any support you can provide on nvidia grpahics cards!!!
:)  :bounce: 

PC description:
CPU- Intel i7 930
8GB of RAM
ATI HD Radeon 6970
Gigabyte motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2011 7:32:45 PM

nVidia GPUs can only handle two outputs per GPU, so to have 3 monitors you need either need to go SLI or use a single dual GPU card like the GTX 295, GTX 590 (aka card that blows up), or the funky dual 460 from EVGA. Either way 3-monitor support is somewhat glitchy. I'm guessing your friend only has a single monitor which of course would be less problematic ^_^
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2011 7:38:49 PM

I'd also like to say it seems that you may have atypical problems with eyefinity. You may want to check for BIOS updates for your particular card. My first gigabyte 5870 had a few issues before I updated the BIOS on it. I also admit that AMDs drivers are not as trouble free as they could be. I had to reinstall the drivers when I added a second 5870 in CF though a friend of mine had no such trouble -_-
Related resources
April 12, 2011 8:07:46 PM

Thats not a "bug" it sounds more like a faulty card or maybe its overheating too much.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
April 12, 2011 8:42:31 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Mousemonkey
a b Î Nvidia
April 12, 2011 10:53:13 PM

A faulty card or an overheating card are a possibility as bob points out. Could also be inadequate PSU. Running fur-mark and monitoring the temps might be a good way to determine that, unless you're worried about a cheap PSU blowing it of course ^_^. I wouldn't rule out some weird driver issue, though it may not even be the AMD driver to blame. I would like to think some of that was ruled out in the calls to tech support but then again.................
Anonymous
April 14, 2011 3:04:21 PM

bobdozer said:
Thats not a "bug" it sounds more like a faulty card or maybe its overheating too much.

Nope, I am quite sure it isn't overheating, since firstly I did a test on it and literately cooled it down with ice packs and AC blowing into my GPU directly. Secondly, there is a number of different glitches and crashes that happens. One is that I receive the blue screen of death, another is that the screens just turn off and I can't open task manager and have to reboot . and the third one is when it temporary freezes and then the screen goes blank. I somehow manage to open task manager, and save myself from having to reboot b but than my game crashes :(  . I even tried to reinstall windows 7 twice (64-bit) and I even installed windows 7 (32-bit) but with no difference of the regular crashes. Than I thought it was a virus, so I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on number 1. anti-virus programs, but with no luck. This is why I want to switch to Nvdia, and since I already purchased 3 monitors I want a Nvdia GPU that can support it.

thanks anyway ;) 
Anonymous
April 14, 2011 3:06:57 PM

megamanx00 said:
nVidia GPUs can only handle two outputs per GPU, so to have 3 monitors you need either need to go SLI or use a single dual GPU card like the GTX 295, GTX 590 (aka card that blows up), or the funky dual 460 from EVGA. Either way 3-monitor support is somewhat glitchy. I'm guessing your friend only has a single monitor which of course would be less problematic ^_^

I heard about a triple 2 go matrox adapter that can support up to three monitors, similar to eyefinity. Can I use this on one of the Nvidia adapters? Or do I have to have a SLI setup to work more than two monitor?
a c 412 Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 4:57:50 PM

In order to do multi-monitor gaming AND 3D Vision, you will absolutely need two graphics cards working in Crossfire or SLI. A single card will not be enough to power that setup, regardless of brand name.

With your X58-based system, you can do two Nvidia cards in SLI, which will then be able to run three monitors. Add in a $150 3D Vision kit, and you are good to go for a 3D Vision Surround setup.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technol...
!