Sign in with
Your question

Strange Problem - ASRock Extreme4 and Patriot G2 DDR3-1600

Last response: in Motherboards
June 12, 2012 7:34:27 AM

I just recently overhauled my entire computer as a college graduation gift to myself. I replace the CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, Motherboard, and PSU. My current setup is:

Intel Core i-5 3570K
ASRock Extreme4 Z77 Chipset
Patriot G2 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 Mhz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 700W
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB SATA 3.0 GB/s 7200RPM
XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5

I am having a couple of really strange issues that I think are connected to my RAM and Motherboard.

First of all, every time my computer boots up the fans spin up then stop (x2) and then it continues to boot up normally. I have had NO BSOD's and have no other problems that are apparent but I know this is not normal and is caused by some issue that I am simply not able to diagnose. I have updated the BIOS, I have checked and re-checked the ATX 12V 24-pin and 8-pin connectors to make sure they are properly seated, I have taken out and reseated the RAM (which is correctly installed in dual channel mode) and now I just cant seem to think of anything else to check.

It seems to reset itself like clockwork (even stops on the same Dr. Debug code every time [Code 10 - PEI Core is started]) but I don't see a connection between the Debug code and the problem itself.

Secondly, my RAM refuses to run at 1600 MHz like it rated. I have changed the BIOS settings multiple times (both enabling the XMP 1.2 settings, setting the frequency manually and both) but to no avail. CPU-Z still shows it running at 666.8 MHZ (1333) and even the BIOS itself still reports it as 1333 frequency despite the fact that I have it manually set to 1600 MHz.

Seems to me these problem might be interconnected but I have neither the physical resources (extra DDR3-1600 modules) nor the monetary resources to test whether my RAM module is causing this problem. Also the particular modules I purchased is specifically listed in the Certified Vendor list posted in the product documentation for my motherboard on the ASRock website and I see little other ill effects that are normally associated with faulty RAM (BSOD's, System hangs, crashing, system slowdowns).

PLEASE HELP!!! I am at my wits end....
June 12, 2012 7:37:49 AM

As a side note...

I have also already checked and the CAS Latency settings are correctly set (9-9-9-24) and the voltage is reading at the proper, recommended level (1.65V).
Because of this I doubt that the BIOS is reverting the DRAM frequency back to 1333 as precautionary measure.
m
l
December 30, 2013 6:16:52 PM

Did you ever get this fixed?? as I am currently having the same issue
m
l
!