Sign in with
Your question

$1500-$2000 Video Editing Build

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2011 9:05:07 PM

Hey guys, this is my first time building a computer and I will probably be getting all of my parts from either my local Fry's or Newegg. I will mainly be using this computer for video editing and surfing the web. I will probably overclock it and 4.4 ghz seem like a good speed to go for. I would like to use air cooling. I'm not really sure if I should use the Z68 or P67 chipset. As far as RAM, I think 8 GB will be sufficient, but I am not quite sure if speed or CAS Latency is more important. I would like to have a SSD for the operating system and a HDD for the rest of the data. I don't really ever play video games, but I would like to be able to watch blu-ray movies on it. Here is my build so far. Tell me what you think and how I can improve it.

Processor: Intel i7 2600k (I believe the extra cost of hyper-threading is worth it for video editing)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow or Scythe Mugen 3 or better suggestions?

Motherboard: P8Z68-V Pro or P8P67 Pro

Memory (RAM): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Graphics Card: This is probably what I know the least about. I will not be gaming, but would still like a mid-range graphics card. Preferably under $200.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X Blue Edition

Solid State Drive: Crucial or Plextor (64GB; Sata III)

Hard Disc Drive: I'm not really sure about this one. I would like it to be 2 TB, under $150, and be as fast as it can be in that price range.

Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor: I really like the idea of a tri-monitor setup, but may only be able to afford 1 right now. Acer seems to have some good quality monitors for the money.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome. I need as much help as possible. One last question; should I wait for Bulldozer to come out so that Sandy Bridge will lower in price, or am I better off just buying the processor now? Thanks!
June 26, 2011 11:55:31 AM

Here's a build assuming you will be overclocking, not playing graphically demanding games, and that you need three monitors and also no OS:

CPU : $300- i7-2600K (Since you will be Video Editing)

Motherboard : $145-Gigabyte GA-Z68X ( Cheap and supports gets the job done )

Cooler: $30-Xigmatek Gaia or Cooler Master Hyper 212 from Amazon

HDD : 2X $60- Samsung Spinpoint f3 1TB from Amazon

RAM : $75- (2X 4GB) Gskill RipjawX or Sniper if other is sold out.

Graphic Card : $250- HIS Radeon 6950 2GB from amazon as newegg reports sold out. This is a reasonably powerful card that will allow you to drive three monitors simultaneously courtesy eyefinity(image)

Power Supply : $110- Cooler Enthusiast TX750 or some silver rates power supply (Capable for powering 2 GPUs)

Monitor : 3X $200- Asus 24" LED Backlit 2ms response time (1920X1080)

SSD : $130 - OCZ Agility 3 64GB

Optical Drive : $20 LiteOn (DVD Writer) or BluRay Burner($85) or BluRay Reader($65)

Case: The case needs to be reconsidered to keep it under budget. A suggestion would be Corsair Graphite 600T($150)

Total (Excluding Case and MAIL-IN-REBATES and including a bluRay reader ): 1825 USD
m
l
June 26, 2011 12:02:37 PM

^If the OP isn't gaming and doesn't need a monster GPU, he could easily go for a lesser GPU in the 5000 or 6000 series. Then the case will fit into the budget (though the HAF X is a monster).
m
l
!