Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Onboard WLAN/WiFi capabilities

Last response: in Motherboards
June 12, 2012 9:36:23 AM

Can a mobo with onboard WLAN wake wirelessly (WoWLAN) from anywhere in the US, using a WOL smartphone application? If not, can I atleast wake from a sleep? That wouldn't require integrated WLAN would it?

Is waking via WiFi a possibility, can 3g/4g networks connect to WiFi PCs? I'm hoping by now someone has an app that can both turn on a PC (laptop) but also access its files via WiFi or WLAN.

Thats the whole point of my desire to turn on my PC, so that I can access everything from my PC on my phone via remote desktop app. So while I'm at work, I can wake it up and set what TV shows to record to watch after work (graveyard shift), or stream already stored movies/ TV/ music on break :)  etc.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks   

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
June 12, 2012 11:56:00 AM

As long as your BIOS supports WoWLAN then sure, and not to mention everything else that's needed for your 3G/4G to connect through your Router. Applications like GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, PhoneMyPC, etc allow for this connectivity.

From a Windows standpoint it's pretty easy:

To enable WoWLAN support for GTK and EAP scenarios, create or modify the following registry key:
Key Name: EnableWoWLAN
Type: DWORD
Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NativeWifiP\Parameters
Value: 1

In addition to modifying this registry key, you must also configure the network device in the Device Manager.

Open Device Manager.
Right-click the network card you want to configure and select Device Properties.
In the Power Management tab, select the Allow this device to wake up the computer check box.

June 13, 2012 5:29:41 AM

Thank you so much for your reply Jaquith!!! Finally someone is familiar with what I'm trying to achieve. You have no idea how many times I've asked this question to no avail (eggxpert, Hard forum, overclock, overclockers, yahoo, etc etc). Idk why I didn't come here the first time.

Well, I hope you have the time and patients to explain a few things to me. I'll let you know now that I'm not very tech savvy, 3 months ago I didn't know the difference between a GPU from a CPU. I'm proud to say I now understand most basic hardware. However I'm still very new to bios and registry settings... So bare with me :) .

Bios settings are settings within the mobo correct? How uncommon is WoWLAN, and when purchasing a new mobo how do I tell what bios settings it has? The search criteria at newegg and manufacturers websites seem vague. Does a mobo require onboard WLAN to support WoWLAN? Is there such thing as WoWiFi, how does WLAN and WiFi differ? I've tried to research but they seem so similar.

Again, thank you so much
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 3:12:53 PM

Every MOBO and BIOS is different, most often Wake On LAN -> Enabled or in some cases Power On By PCIE/PCI Devices -> Enabled -- plus the other registry and control options listed above.

WoWLAN as you're going about it is very (un)common. Yes, MOBO's require some form of 'wake' otherwise you'll need to use a different S# State for this to work properly.
June 14, 2012 10:09:17 PM

jaquith said:
Every MOBO and BIOS is different, most often Wake On LAN -> Enabled or in some cases Power On By PCIE/PCI Devices -> Enabled -- plus the other registry and control options listed above.

WoWLAN as you're going about it is very (un)common. Yes, MOBO's require some form of 'wake' otherwise you'll need to use a different S# State for this to work properly.

So your saying most mobo can be woke via wireless PCI card with registry/bios set to do so? Doesn't the mobo need to be on (sleeping) for the PCI to function?

What is S# state, is that a bios setting? How can I tell what bios options a mobo has? I'd like to think all mobo's w/ onboard WLAN or WiFi would feature a wireless wake option but of course that'd be too easy.
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 10:32:49 PM

By far WOL, and after that a generalized PME ... WoWLAN is very rare and typically requires as I mentioned specific BIOS capabilities. IF the WiFi is connected to the PCI/PCIe then Power On By PCIE/PCI Devices (PME).
June 14, 2012 10:56:04 PM

jaquith said:
By far WOL, and after that a generalized PME ... WoWLAN is very rare and typically requires as I mentioned specific BIOS capabilities. IF the WiFi is connected to the PCI/PCIe then Power On By PCIE/PCI Devices (PME).

Oh, I didn't edit my post quick enough lol.

Now you got me confused... What is PME? I realise in order for it to WoWLAN its going to require the setting in bios, but how do I tell if the board bios features it?

I dont even know how to look for boards with onboard/integrated WLAN let alone what bios features they offer. Newegg and even manufacturers such as Asus are vague in their search criteria.
a c 715 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 11:43:35 PM

PME (Power Management Events) - it's the part of the BIOS that controls items like WOL, etc from the PCI/PCIe devices.

I do not have a list of MOBO's that can support WoWLAN, best 'guess' is models that include an onboard WiFi option are the best to start with, but that doesn't guarantee the ability.

Support & Pre-Sale Questions - ASUS and others MOBO MFG's have full specs data and have it all at their fingertips. I'm stuck to reading manuals one at a time.

In contrast to WoWLAN, WOL is almost impossible not to find in any modern MOBO.

Thought, I am not a WiFi fanboy for anything other than Notebooks, Phones, etc and if I may offer IMO the best and affordable option -- PowerLine Networking. PowerLine has easy setup, reduced LAG (low Ping), better & consistent bandwidth, and very reliable --- works with WOL!

Great info about PowerLine - http://www.youtube.com/user/NCIXcom/videos?query=PowerL...
June 18, 2012 10:48:29 AM

jaquith said:
Thanks for the idea of the power line, I've never seen or heard of it b4. I'll definitely use it over WLAN/WiFi, especially since I could use WOL which like you said is very common, and its faster.

That might also open another option I've considered. The ability to wake via bluetooth device such as PS3 controller/ keyboard/ remote using onboard BT. Is this possible? Sucks that universal BT/IR MCE remotes featuring cursor control are non-existent though.

For that reason I might go CIR, but I dont know if the receiver I found will communicate with just any MCE/IR remote. If it cant then I'd rather go BT and forget cursor, not to mention IR might be too laggy anyway. Maybe I wouldn't use or like a cursor but I think it'd be convenient to have. They say its for Intel mobo's only, but I wonder if thats actually brand or just socket type.

Here's the link to both receiver and remote http://shop.inteset.com/Products/13-inteset-remote-and-...

Any thoughts?
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 7:21:29 AM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
!