So I bought Astro Boy, Turtles, and Kirby

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

So I bought Astro Boy, Turtles, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror for a trip
that was roughly 20 hours of travel time and what game did I play the most?
Metroid Fusion. What's up with that? All three of those games are quite
good, but Fusion, which I've beaten probably twice, was the one I played.
Probably would have been Metroid Zero, but I misplaced it somewhere.

Which brings me to a scary question... now that the DS and handheld market
has gone 3D... what's to happen to the Metroid 2D series? So sad, this end
of a genre.

I weep now. Goodbye.

In article <41aca76b$0$18495$45beb828@newscene.com>,
Fred Liken <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote:
> So I bought Astro Boy, Turtles, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror for a trip
> that was roughly 20 hours of travel time and what game did I play the most?
> Metroid Fusion. What's up with that? All three of those games are quite
> good, but Fusion, which I've beaten probably twice, was the one I played.
> Probably would have been Metroid Zero, but I misplaced it somewhere.

> Which brings me to a scary question... now that the DS and handheld market
> has gone 3D... what's to happen to the Metroid 2D series? So sad, this end
> of a genre.

Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.
Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing new Metroid games too of course...:)

> I weep now. Goodbye.

Have a hankie. Cheerio.

Wullie

--
West Lothian, Scotland

162MB StrongArm RISC PC 20GB Harddisc RISC OS 4.37

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:41:06 GMT, William McNee
<wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:

>Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
>wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.

You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...

drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:41:06 GMT, William McNee
> <wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
> >wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.
>
> You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
> the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...

I simply bought Metroid 2 off ebay (good condition box and instructions
- cost me a pretty packet - yes, I am nuts) and play it on my GBA-SP.
Boy did I enjoy playing it again. Another few days of my life lost to
video games (totally worth it too, heh) :)

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

In article <e9ppq0lkv789nm07h799v8uvn7nld3fmr1@4ax.com>,
drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:41:06 GMT, William McNee
> <wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:

> >Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
> >wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.

> You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
> the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...

Ah yes, of course. That's one Metroid I've never played...
Hell, why not rerelease both...:)

William

--

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:41:06 GMT, William McNee
> <wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
>>wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.
>
> You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
> the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...

Yes, that game needs a remake. The concept was great, with the different
stage metroids, but all the caverns looked very much alike, due to the
grayscale graphics. I'd love to see what can be done with color.

--
figmentPez

drocket wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:41:06 GMT, William McNee
> <wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:
>>Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
>>wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.
>
> You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
> the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...

I'm stumped. Wouldn't you rather have a whole new 2D Metroid game? (o_O)
--
Pekka Kujansuu

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:31:26 +0200, Pekka Kujansuu <pekuja@utu.fi>
wrote:

>I'm stumped. Wouldn't you rather have a whole new 2D Metroid game? (o_O)

Well, actually, I think a remake of Metroid 2 (done like Mission Zero
was) would probably have enough changes that it virtually would be a
whole new game. The evolving metroids thing was an interesting idea,
and a lot more could be done with that.

I really don't have a problem with remaking old games, as long as they
stay true to the spirit of the original game (*evil glare at Final
Fantasy: Dawn of Souls*) and can add some new twists.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

I love Astro Boy but I'm having a heck of a time with it. I got to just
before the "first" ending of the game, and couldn't beat the fifth of the
"world's strongest robots." So I started back at the beginning of the game,
intending this time to prioritize upgrading my laser/arm cannon. Now I'm
stuck at another point of the game. People who say this is a "five hour
game" are either some sort of game geniuses, or else I'm the bottom of the
barrel. ;-)

SF

On 11/30/04 11:04 AM, in article 41aca76b$0$18495$45beb828@newscene.com,

"figmentpez" <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote in

> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:41:06 GMT, William McNee
>> <wullie@hame.the.noo.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Not really. Nintendo managed to do a fine remake of the first Metroid. I
>>>wouldn't mind seeing a remake of Super Metroid on the GBA.
>>
>> You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
>> the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...
>
> Yes, that game needs a remake. The concept was great, with the different
> stage metroids, but all the caverns looked very much alike, due to the
> grayscale graphics. I'd love to see what can be done with color.

There was a GBC ("Metroid II DX"?) remake. Game never did much for me
though, and I don't get the hunger for remakes (except maybe Startropics).
I'd rather have a new one.

"Seven Silvergun" <sevensilvergun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "figmentpez" <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote in
>> Yes, that game needs a remake. The concept was great, with the different
>> stage metroids, but all the caverns looked very much alike, due to the
>> grayscale graphics. I'd love to see what can be done with color.
>
> There was a GBC ("Metroid II DX"?) remake. Game never did much for me
> though, and I don't get the hunger for remakes (except maybe Startropics).
> I'd rather have a new one.

I thought that the DX version of Metroid II was a cancelled project, or even
just a fan rumor?

Considering how much was added to the Zero Mission remake of Metroid, I
imagine that a Metroid II remake would have a fair amount of new content.

--
figmentPez

"figmentpez" <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Seven Silvergun" <sevensilvergun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "figmentpez" <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> Yes, that game needs a remake. The concept was great, with the different
>>> stage metroids, but all the caverns looked very much alike, due to the
>>> grayscale graphics. I'd love to see what can be done with color.
>>
>> There was a GBC ("Metroid II DX"?) remake. Game never did much for me
>> though, and I don't get the hunger for remakes (except maybe
>> Startropics).
>> I'd rather have a new one.
>
> I thought that the DX version of Metroid II was a cancelled project, or
> even just a fan rumor?
>
> Considering how much was added to the Zero Mission remake of Metroid, I
> imagine that a Metroid II remake would have a fair amount of new content.

I agree.

But, what I really want to see is a Metroid spin off of sorts. One based
on, say galactic federation, or whatever, missions against space pirates,
etc. I think that'd be interesting.

Fred Liken wrote:

> I agree.
>
> But, what I really want to see is a Metroid spin off of sorts. One based
> on, say galactic federation, or whatever, missions against space pirates,
> etc. I think that'd be interesting.

That was what they originally implied when they said Super Metroid was
the last game in the series. That we'd see Samus again, just not in the
Metroid saga.
Not that I'm disappointed or anything, I love all of the new Metroid
games so far. But I do agree, it would be cool to see more of the
universe apart from metroids. Maybe a game where Samus wanders around
collecting various and sundry bounties for the Galactic Federation.

In uk.games.video.gamecube figmentpez <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote:
> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> You should be asking for a remake of Metroid 2, which was released for
>> the original Gameboy. Now THAT would be sweet...
> Yes, that game needs a remake. The concept was great, with the
> different stage metroids, but all the caverns looked very much alike,
> due to the grayscale graphics. I'd love to see what can be done with
> color.

The GBA (and GBC too, I would assume) has built-in colorization for
Metroid 2. It's a bit heavy on the blue shades, but for instance Samus
herself has proper orange armour with a red helmet.

-a

"Stephen Williams" <steve1.williams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Maybe a game where Samus wanders around collecting various and sundry
> bounties for the Galactic Federation.

Hmmm..... Grand Theft Auto meets Metroid.... Nah, I don't think so.

--
figmentPez

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

"figmentpez" <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Seven Silvergun" <sevensilvergun@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "figmentpez" <mixedmetaphor@n0sp4mpl3as3.hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> Yes, that game needs a remake. The concept was great, with the
>>> different stage metroids, but all the caverns looked very much
>>> alike, due to the grayscale graphics. I'd love to see what can be
>>> done with color.
>>
>> There was a GBC ("Metroid II DX"?) remake. Game never did much for me
>> though, and I don't get the hunger for remakes (except maybe
>> Startropics). I'd rather have a new one.
>
> I thought that the DX version of Metroid II was a cancelled project,
> or even just a fan rumor?

Oh, wow, sorry. I just looked, and I guess you're right. It definitely
wasn't a fan rumor. Nintendo Power talked about it like it was real. I was
always under the impression it came out alongside the Links Awakening and
Tetris DX remakes. And I didn't like the original game, so I didn't care,
and I never paid attention to its never being released.

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:50:21 +0000, figmentpez wrote:

> "Stephen Williams" <steve1.williams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Maybe a game where Samus wanders around collecting various and sundry
>> bounties for the Galactic Federation.
>
> Hmmm..... Grand Theft Auto meets Metroid.... Nah, I don't think so.

How about MGS vs Metroid? Samus having to use stealth to sneak past Space
Pirates, that would be cool.

"Les B. Labbauf" <mulder@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:50:21 +0000, figmentpez wrote:
>
>> "Stephen Williams" <steve1.williams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Maybe a game where Samus wanders around collecting various and sundry
>>> bounties for the Galactic Federation.
>>
>> Hmmm..... Grand Theft Auto meets Metroid.... Nah, I don't think so.
>
> How about MGS vs Metroid? Samus having to use stealth to sneak past Space
> Pirates, that would be cool.

I can just hear it now...

<Samus removes helmet, shakes out her blonde hair>
Snake - A woman????

Snake would kick her ass anyway.

Les B. Labbauf wrote:
> How about MGS vs Metroid? Samus having to use stealth to sneak past Space
> Pirates, that would be cool.

That might be interesting, but not really appropriate unless it was a
small part of a larger, less stealthy game. I mean, you don't dress up
in an advanced alien suit of powered armour to go tip-toeing around
enemy bases.
Now, if Samus were somehow deprived of her power suit temporarily
(pirates attack a colony she's staying at or something) and she had to
sneak around in order to recover it, that could be pretty cool.
A whole game about stealth isn't really up the Metroid series' alley
though, I don't think. I mean, in MGS if the baddies spot you, you
either run or hide, but in Metroid you generally go toe to toe.

> Now, if Samus were somehow deprived of her power suit temporarily
> (pirates attack a colony she's staying at or something) and she had to
> sneak around in order to recover it, that could be pretty cool.

You've just described the secret ending of Zero Mission. Samus with no
suit, sneaking around. It was pretty cool, but like you said, JUST as a
small part of the game. Metroid and stealth are not really meant for each
other.

> A whole game about stealth isn't really up the Metroid series' alley
> though, I don't think. I mean, in MGS if the baddies spot you, you
> either run or hide, but in Metroid you generally go toe to toe.

dekay

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 15 Dec
2004 07:50:33 GMT, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Leon Dexter"
<leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>You've just described the secret ending of Zero Mission.

It was hardly very secret, and wasn't even the end either.

> Samus with no
>suit, sneaking around. It was pretty cool, but like you said, JUST as a
>small part of the game. Metroid and stealth are not really meant for each
>other.

As that section proves. It almost ruined what was otherwise one of the best
games I've played this year.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01

deKay <andyk@lofi-gaming.org.uk> writes:
>> Samus with no suit, sneaking around. It was pretty cool, but like
>>you said, JUST as a small part of the game. Metroid and stealth are
>>not really meant for each other.
>
> As that section proves. It almost ruined what was otherwise one of the best
> games I've played this year.

Huh? "ruined"? I thought was a rather nice interlude... of course it
was also damn satisfying to finally get your power-suit back and
effortlessly mow down the space pirates who had been kicking your ass!

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Stephen Williams" <steve1.williams@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> You've just described the secret ending of Zero Mission. Samus with no
> suit, sneaking around. It was pretty cool, but like you said, JUST as a
> small part of the game. Metroid and stealth are not really meant for each
> other.

Yeah *laughs*

Seems odd he cares enough about Metroid to come up with sequel ideas but he
didn't play Zero... ?