Latitude C800 Wierd LCD Issue

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 9:56:55 PM

Hello all,

A friend has a Dell Latitude C800 with an interesting LCD issue. The
LCD on the laptop itself has not been used much over the past couple of
years because he uses an external monitor and docking station. He
recently attempted to use the laptop for a presentation and discovered
that the screen turned dark on him.

When he described the symptoms, I immediately thought it must be the
backlight or inverter, etc. but it doesn't act like other failures I've
witnessed. I can power on the machine and go into the BIOS and it
works just fine. As soon as I allow the machine to boot to Windows
2000, the splash screen appears (with the blue progress indicator) and
then after about 10 seconds, the display goes dark but I can still
faintly see what's going on as the machine continues to boot into
Windows. Once the login screen appears, the backlight is on again and
I can get past it to the desktop but after another 10 - 20 seconds it
goes dark. Here's where it's strange. If I toggle from CRT/LCD mode
using Fn-F8, I can get it to come on again but only for another 10
seconds and then it goes dark again. I can repeat this process all day
with the same results. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here or
if it truely is one of the backlight components.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (A23), confirmed that
power management settings in the BIOS and Windows 2000 are setup
properly, installed the latest ATI Rage Mobility drivers for Windows
2000 (from the Dell website). I just can't figure out what else to
try.

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Dan
June 18, 2005 4:17:48 AM

go into the bios and check the settings for the video it may be turned way
down.

<drivie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> A friend has a Dell Latitude C800 with an interesting LCD issue. The
> LCD on the laptop itself has not been used much over the past couple of
> years because he uses an external monitor and docking station. He
> recently attempted to use the laptop for a presentation and discovered
> that the screen turned dark on him.
>
> When he described the symptoms, I immediately thought it must be the
> backlight or inverter, etc. but it doesn't act like other failures I've
> witnessed. I can power on the machine and go into the BIOS and it
> works just fine. As soon as I allow the machine to boot to Windows
> 2000, the splash screen appears (with the blue progress indicator) and
> then after about 10 seconds, the display goes dark but I can still
> faintly see what's going on as the machine continues to boot into
> Windows. Once the login screen appears, the backlight is on again and
> I can get past it to the desktop but after another 10 - 20 seconds it
> goes dark. Here's where it's strange. If I toggle from CRT/LCD mode
> using Fn-F8, I can get it to come on again but only for another 10
> seconds and then it goes dark again. I can repeat this process all day
> with the same results. I'm wondering if I'm missing something here or
> if it truely is one of the backlight components.
>
> I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (A23), confirmed that
> power management settings in the BIOS and Windows 2000 are setup
> properly, installed the latest ATI Rage Mobility drivers for Windows
> 2000 (from the Dell website). I just can't figure out what else to
> try.
>
> Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated,
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 2:48:15 AM

BigJim,

Thanks for the reply. I did check the power management and brightness
settings in the BIOS. I set the brightness on AC and Battery power to
full and the problem remained. I also attempted to alter brightness
and contrast with the Fn-(up arrow) or (right arrows) but nothing
seemed to resolve the issue. Any additional adivce or suggestions are
appreciated.

Dan
June 21, 2005 8:00:44 PM

you may want to make sure the screen is securely plugged into the
motherboard.

then again, sounds like it could be a driver issue, laptops are
temperamental with drivers.
the driver file could be corrupt. I had to do a complete installation of xp
on a 8000
because of a bad driver file. I tried everything before wiping the drive and
reinstalling.

best guesses

!