Wich CPU TO BUY??

niba10

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
I want cpu for gaming i dont need it for video editing but i want cpu that will stay good for long time ??

what is better ? :

intel core i5 2500k
or
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 64Bit Six Core 3.3Ghz AM3 Box - Black Edition

or i7 2600k?

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For gaming the four cores is all you'll need for awhile. Only a few new games are even starting to try and use 4 cores. Between the two for games, I'd definitely go for the I5 2500k. The 2600k is better for more cpu intensive tasks but depending on your budget it's not worth the extra $100 for games. Unless you are going to use multithreaded applications like rendering, encoding, and photo editing programs 2500k is better price/performance wise.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
i5-2500k hands down every time at the present time. (unless your video encoding). The core's seem to be able to OC so much higher than the AMD CPU's. Which currently gives better performance than having more cores (past 4 cores).

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It's hard to say what new games/hardware will bring in two, three, or four years from now. Look at this article, the extra 2 cores are really going to madder, if they do, it won't be for some years down the road I think. Because we are just starting to leave the benefits of two cores, even still it is negligible, just depends on what the code for new games will be for. Plus the sandy bridge platform is superior to the phenom II platform. I know the 2500k 4 cores will be better for games though. If we take the Q6600 as an example that processor lasted for years(Since 2007) and still isn't that bad for games even now as long as you don't put the newest graphics cards in with it.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/07/05/how-many-cpu-cores-do-games-need/9

If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, than you might consider looking at the bulldozer benchmarks when they come out. According to some rumors they are probably going to be competing with the current sandy bridge cpus. Although it is hard to say until we can actually see the them officially. It's a new architecture so I'm sure it will be better than the phenom II x6 at probably around the same price.

TRENDING THREADS