New Build Hard Drive Questions

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Hard Drives
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2011 11:38:58 PM

I posted my new build yesterday on here under Final Build Last Minute Suggestions... just in case you need to see specs before looking at my question. I was wondering if it is wise to have a seperate 250gb drive for the OS and a 1tb drive for everything else I.e. games movies music software. Also any suggestions into good hard drives would be appreciated 250gb looking to spend 30-45$ and 1tb 50-70$. Thanks again.

P.s. still looking for help on a wireless network card/adapter fir new build I was told PCI but would live a product suggestion from you guys seeing as im brand new to building computers.

More about : build hard drive questions

June 25, 2011 11:52:21 PM

I would say there isn't enough of a difference to warrant such a solution.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (cheap, fast, reliable) as the sole drive in the system will work fine it's about $65 now in newegg, might get a few bucks cheaper from amazon.
m
l
June 25, 2011 11:55:10 PM

So it wouldn't do anything to have a seperste smaller drive for the OS. I was talking to some guys and they sad that if I di what you said I'd want to partition which I have no idea what that means or how to do it.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2011 12:14:17 AM

Don't really need to partition the HDD's anymore either, a single 1TB partition will work just fine.

Currently the only reason to have a separate boot drive really is if you are running an SSD, which basically would have your operating system and your most used programs. Then things that take a lot of space would be kept on the storage drive. The other reason I can think of would be if you were running another operating system in addition to Win7 but you don't seem to be doing that so it's not needed.
m
l
June 26, 2011 12:18:33 AM

OK thanks a bunch man you've been a big help any suggestions on wireless network adapters so I can use wireless internet?
m
l
June 26, 2011 1:10:04 AM

Not from me, I did quickly check up on newegg for possibilities, but they all seemed to have their issues. With lots of 1 egg ratings on them. Perhaps someone else can suggest a brand/model to go for.
m
l
June 26, 2011 1:11:32 AM

Yea I did same and saw nothing worth while that's why I wanted yo ask in this site
m
l