Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard reboots constantly

Last response: in Motherboards
June 12, 2012 1:21:20 PM

Hi
I would like to know what causes my 965gdag-lf motherboard to constantly restart at start up, does not post. cpu and memory are ok, tried someone elses cpu and its still does the same thing.
Clueless!!!
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 12, 2012 1:27:26 PM

First thing to 'try' is to Clear CMOS, most MOBO's use a Jumper. Unplug the PSU ~5 minutes, move the Jumper for ~5+ seconds (longer is fine, less isn't); see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

IF unplugging the PSU for 5~10 minutes 'helps' and the PC posts or lasts 'longer' most of the time it's indicative of a bad capacitor (MOBO, PSU or GPU).
June 13, 2012 2:59:36 PM

what happens if it still occurs after Ive tried resetting the bios and it continues to reboot constantly?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 13, 2012 3:23:15 PM

Then it comes down to a Guessing Game. Chances are if you can see any part of the post screen -- it's your PSU.

As mentioned above are your seeing any differences unplugging for a period of time? RE: "IF unplugging the PSU for 5~10 minutes 'helps' and the PC posts or lasts 'longer'"
June 14, 2012 6:32:15 AM

I have unplugged the psu, reset the bios and the problem persists.
It does'nt post at all.
Goes on for about 5 seconds then reboots before even reaching bios.
Does this mean my mobo is now completely useless?
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 12:47:52 PM

Assuming you're using the iGPU chances are with no difference (time) it's the MOBO. I would disconnect every single peripheral including the HDD(s), USB headers, Keyboard/Mouse, (1) stick of RAM/swap sticks and try again.

Failure 50% MOBO, 40% PSU, 10% CPU and the only way to 'know' is to swap known good components.
June 15, 2012 6:26:37 AM

I have removed every single accessory(hardware) from the board. only the cpu and a single stick of 1gb ram has now been used and it continues. I now strongly believe that the problem lies with the mobo. Can it be that my onboard VGA might be problematic? if so.... do i consider it completely useless?
Thanx for your guidance through this.
Much appreciated.
a b à CPUs
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 2:05:05 PM

Again - Failure 50% MOBO, 40% PSU, 10% CPU - if anyone says it's the _______ then it's a total guess. Generally when a PSU starts going 'bad' you'll have oddball lockups and shutdowns. Often when a MOBO bites the dust -- poof it's dead unless it's a capacitor then it can mimic the PSU behavior.

My GUESS is the MOBO.
!