Motherboard & CPU

btpoole

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Currently have Dell Precision 530 with the 2H882 motherboard and dual 2.8ghz cpu. I wish to upgrade the system as much as possible. I'm a non gamer, but use the system for CAD and CAD type programs. I know I will have to change out the motherboard. Really like to keep the case and other components. Any suggestions on what motherboard and cpu I can use that will fit the case>
Thanks

ItsFixed

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
A bad computer motherboard or CPU can cause an assortment of different issues on your computer. Below are just a few of the possible issues you may encounter. It is important to remember that the issues below can also be caused by more than just a bad motherboard and CPU.
1. Computer does not boot, instead you get a beep code. See the POST / Beep code page for additional information about beep codes.
2. Random computer crashes causing General Protection Fault error messages, Illegal Operations, Fatal Exceptions, etc.
3. Computer randomly reboots.

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
dell isn't big on publishing their specs, but it seems to be a mid to full tower atx case based on the outside dimensions, so any atx or uatx motherboard should fit. However I offer no guarantee on that (dell stuff is notorious for being upgrade unfriendly) and would just suggest spending the $60 on an antec 300 or similar case.

As for the powersupply i have serious doubts the connectors would have the right pin count for a modern motherboard, and i'm rather sure it lacks sata power connectors. On top of that it's probably getting close to, or is already beyond, the mean time between failure for the model.

long story short, i think it's reached end of life and you should be happy you got your money's worth out of it, and you should just start over, the money saved by attempting to reuse you case and psu are just a small fraction of the total upgrade cost and would be worth it to save headaches.

*edit after taking a long hard look at the service manual for that model, i wouldn't even attempt reusing the case, i've dealt with them before, and in my opinion saving $100 still wouldn't make it worth it

what are you saying ? it has nothing to do with this thread ?????

Dell uses a BTX MOBO, and some unique designs includes air flow system, I/O, and specified power supply with unique designs to fit with the machine, so any other MOBO won't fit in your machine unless it's BTX and simply BTX is a whole PC produced by OEMs such as Dell and HP
you'll have to retire the machine as you said and time to get a new one, but tell me what are the applications you'll be using and if you will build the system in your own or stick again with Dell machines