Opinions - Wireless PC Cards ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 3:06:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

I haven't seen many inquiries on this topic lately and there have been a
lot of new products on the market so I'll throw this out again.

Feedback on Wireless PC Cards, 802.11b or 802.11b/g for internet
connection on the road.

Best reception, distance, installation and so on.

TIA

Chas.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 11:28:58 AM

Chas wrote:
> Feedback on Wireless PC Cards, 802.11b or 802.11b/g for internet
> connection on the road.

Some time ago, I bought a Belkin 802.11b card for my TP770, along with a
Belkin 802.11b router. Installation was no problem but the range was
pretty awful; maybe 20ft with clear sightlines, less if the signal had
to penetrate anything.

After a month or two I replaced the Belkin router with a Microsoft
802.11g router, and what a difference! I now get coverage of the entire
house and most of the yard.

So, IMO the Belkin F5D6020 card (I have V.2) is great. But stay away
from the F5D6231-4 router.

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
If your teacher tells you to Question Authority

Gordon S. Hlavenka wrote:

> Chas wrote:
>> Feedback on Wireless PC Cards, 802.11b or 802.11b/g for internet
>> connection on the road.
>
> Some time ago, I bought a Belkin 802.11b card for my TP770, along with a
> Belkin 802.11b router. Installation was no problem but the range was
> pretty awful; maybe 20ft with clear sightlines, less if the signal had
> to penetrate anything.
>
> After a month or two I replaced the Belkin router with a Microsoft
> 802.11g router, and what a difference! I now get coverage of the entire
> house and most of the yard.

When did Microsoft start making network hardware?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 05:09:51 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>> After a month or two I replaced the Belkin router with a Microsoft
>> 802.11g router, and what a difference! I now get coverage of the entire
>> house and most of the yard.
>
>When did Microsoft start making network hardware?

I forget the exact dates, but Microsoft did make a few networking
products for a while. As I recall, they dropped out of the market less
than a year after they entered it. The stuff was pretty basic wireless
b & g routers, notebook and desktop adapters. The products were make
by a third party and labeled for Microsoft. The only noteworthy
feature was the easy set-up with the Microsoft software. There were
some good deals available on these product when they were
discontinued.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2005 7:42:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

I use a Motorola Wireless Router (WR850G 802.11 b/g) and wireless PC
cards (WN825G) here. I've been very satisfied. We have a four-level
home, and the router is located in the garage on the ground level. My
daughter can roam anywhere in the house, to the basement, the level
above the router location, and the bedrooms at the top level of the
house without ever losing the connection.

She can be at least 50 feet from the router, and the signal goes
through several walls at sometimes 2 floors and still maintains the
connection and very decent throughput.

I purchased the units online at Newegg.com, but Wal-Mart carries the
Motorola line of wireless networking products at very decent prices. It
is my understanding that these units are manufactured by Broadcom in
Taiwan for Motorola. Interestingly, my new HP business notebook nx6110
uses Broadcom wireless networking, and I have even greater range due to
the antenna in the display area of the notebook as compared to the
PCMCIA card-based antenna in the WN825G in my daughter's notebook.

Hope this helps.

Don
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 2:11:13 AM

* * Chas wrote:
> I haven't seen many inquiries on this topic lately and there have been a
> lot of new products on the market so I'll throw this out again.
>
> Feedback on Wireless PC Cards, 802.11b or 802.11b/g for internet
> connection on the road.
>
> Best reception, distance, installation and so on.
>
> TIA
>
> Chas.

Depends on your PC, too.

I've had mostly good results from my Netgear router and PCMCIA card for
my 600X. When it worked, which was almost all the time the first year,
it worked fine. Others have reported good results from the Netgear.

Whatever you buy, make sure the router specs show that it has at least
NAT and SPI firewall protections.

I did experience problems the very few times I ever ran the 600X on
battery power, and I finally found the solution posted as a KB article
on the Netgear website.

The 600X uses a TI 1450 PCI chipset (?) and the PCI power management of
this farkles the card.

Since I disabled PCI power management on the laptop the card seems to
work fine.

Doug
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 2:21:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

"Doug Ellice" <DouglasSpamNotEllice@Comcast.NotSpam.net> wrote in
message news:6LWdnec-y9o1uCvfRVn-sg@comcast.com...
> * * Chas wrote:
<snip>

> > Wireless PC Cards, 802.11b or 802.11b/g for internet
> > connection on the road.
> >
> > Best reception, distance, installation and so on.

> Whatever you buy, make sure the router specs show that it has at least
> NAT and SPI firewall protections.

Thanks for the responses everyone but.... I'm looking for a card to use
while traveling where I have no control over the WAP.

I'm looking for cards for IBM T20 and 240x laptops.

I've done a lot of searching but I was hoping to find some feedback in
the laptop NGs where people might have more first hand experience while
traveling rather than the wireless NGs.

For example which cards have worked better than others, how about the
USB wireless devices and so on.

My house is wired through a NAT Router connected to cable DSL so I have
no need for wireless at home.

I have an X31 with a built in IBM A/B/G card which works OK... some of
the time. I have a Proxim/Orinoco Silver A/B card, a Linksys WPC11 v. 4
802.11B card and a cheap Airways? 802.11B card. None of these have
worked very well or at all with Win98SE. The Orinoco works OK...
sometimes with WinXP (dual boot systems).

I'm looking for a card, PC or USB that I can use dependably while I'm
traveling.

> I did experience problems the very few times I ever ran the 600X on
> battery power, and I finally found the solution posted as a KB article
> on the Netgear website.
>
> The 600X uses a TI 1450 PCI chipset (?) and the PCI power management
of
> this farkles the card.
>
> Since I disabled PCI power management on the laptop the card seems to
> work fine.
>
> Doug

That's interesting. I'll have to look into disabling power management.
I've seen a check box that asks if I want to use power management with
the wireless PC Card but it's unchecked.

How did you disable PCI power management?

Chas.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 4:17:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Chas,

The best one going, bar none, is the US Robotics "turbo-card" or
"superG " 5410.
Price, reliability, & connectability. Names may not be exact, 5410
model is right.

3Com has the X-Jack that retracts, which is nice, but it's pricey.

KC
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 4:41:53 PM

<kcrispin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Chas,
>
> The best one going, bar none, is the US Robotics "turbo-card" or
> "superG " 5410.
> Price, reliability, & connectability. Names may not be exact, 5410
> model is right.
>
> 3Com has the X-Jack that retracts, which is nice, but it's pricey.
>
> KC

U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo Card Model USR5410 $59.95 USD List
price.

Thanks, how does it work with 802.11B which is the most common
connection on the road?

BTW, they are offering a $20 rebate between July,1 and September 1.

Chas.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2005 11:46:09 PM

Date: 20 Jun 2005 12:17:19 -0700

Chas, The best one going, bar none, is the US Robotics "turbo-card"
or "superG " 5410. Price, reliability, & connectability. Names may
not be exact, 5410 model is right.

3Com has the X-Jack that retracts, which is nice, but it's pricey.

Well that is nice to know since that is the one I use. I've been using
3Com, USR, and US Robotics for many years. I *love* their hardware, but
their software is just so-so IMHO. Also this is the very first time I've
ever heard anybody else besides me ever mentioned the 5410. It by the
way works fine by me. Although I have nothing else to compare it to.
Normally I use it with a 2Wire HomePortal 1000HG (wireless router,
firewall, DSL modem) at home.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 4:28:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Any of the "G" cards that I've seen are all compatible with "B" or "G."
I would imagine this could be confirmed on their website. I've seen the
USR5410 on Ebay for $25.

Frankly, I find no difference in speed using b, g, or hardwire network,
but I'm only utilizing for a broadband internet connection. So for that
purpose only, B or G makes no difference whatsoever, IMHO.

OTOH, in network environments, it's a noticeable difference...albeit,
not even close to approaching the speed of a cat5 connection.

KC
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2005 3:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

for travelling, basically anything that'll do B is just fine.

for long-reach, Belkin Pre-N cards & routers.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2005 5:40:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

<kcrispin@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The best one going, bar none, is the US Robotics "turbo-card" or
> "superG " 5410.
> Price, reliability, & connectability. Names may not be exact, 5410
> model is right.
>
> KC

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up a U.S. Robotic USR5410
802.11g Wireless Turbo PC Card this evening. It seems to be working
great.

This is the first wireless card that I've been able to get to work with
Win98SE. I have a dual boot T20 with Win98SE/WinXP SP2 and two identical
240x TPs, one with XP SP2 and one with Win98SE. I also have an X31 with
a built in IBM A/B/G Wireless Card with XP SP2.

I have a Proxim/Orinoco Silver A/B PC Card, a Linksys WPC11 v.4 PC Card
and an off brand 11b PC Card from Fry's. I haven't been able to get any
of these to connect to the internet using Win98SE but they work OK with
the WinXP systems.

With the USR5410 I'm seeing neighbor's wireless networks that only the
X31 could detect and I've been able to connect to 2 different 54g
networks with the USR5410 on my 240x Win98SE.

Chas.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2005 5:44:15 AM

> Any of the "G" cards that I've seen are all compatible with "B" or
"G."
> I would imagine this could be confirmed on their website. I've seen
the
> USR5410 on Ebay for $25.
>
> Frankly, I find no difference in speed using b, g, or hardwire
network,
> but I'm only utilizing for a broadband internet connection. So for
that
> purpose only, B or G makes no difference whatsoever, IMHO.
>
> OTOH, in network environments, it's a noticeable difference...albeit,
> not even close to approaching the speed of a cat5 connection.
>
> KC

What OS are you using?

If it's XP, have you installed the U.S. Robotics software or just using
MS's Wireless Zero Config?

Chas.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2005 9:18:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Chas,

Maybe you can help me. Since you are running a T20 on dual boot.

I've got a T21 with full fresh install of XP SP2. The previous owner wiped the
HD before installing XP. I've also got the original W98 SE restore CD.

I'm having troubles finding the right XP drivers for my DVD and CDRW/DVD combo
drives. I've got them both working after installing a 3rd party software BUT XP
keeps wanting to install them since it does not have the right drivers. How did
you get around this?

--
Roy
rem NADA to reply

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message

| <kcrispin@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > The best one going, bar none, is the US Robotics "turbo-card" or
| > "superG " 5410.
| > Price, reliability, & connectability. Names may not be exact, 5410
| > model is right.
| >
| > KC
|
| Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up a U.S. Robotic USR5410
| 802.11g Wireless Turbo PC Card this evening. It seems to be working
| great.
|
| This is the first wireless card that I've been able to get to work with
| Win98SE. I have a dual boot T20 with Win98SE/WinXP SP2 and two identical
| 240x TPs, one with XP SP2 and one with Win98SE. I also have an X31 with
| a built in IBM A/B/G Wireless Card with XP SP2.
|
| I have a Proxim/Orinoco Silver A/B PC Card, a Linksys WPC11 v.4 PC Card
| and an off brand 11b PC Card from Fry's. I haven't been able to get any
| of these to connect to the internet using Win98SE but they work OK with
| the WinXP systems.
|
| With the USR5410 I'm seeing neighbor's wireless networks that only the
| X31 could detect and I've been able to connect to 2 different 54g
| networks with the USR5410 on my 240x Win98SE.
|
| Chas.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2005 11:11:37 PM

"Roy Brown" <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote in message
> Chas,
> Maybe you can help me. Since you are running a T20 on dual boot.
> I've got a T21 with full fresh install of XP SP2. The previous owner
wiped the
> HD before installing XP. I've also got the original W98 SE restore CD.
>
> I'm having troubles finding the right XP drivers for my DVD and
CDRW/DVD combo
> drives. I've got them both working after installing a 3rd party
software BUT XP
> keeps wanting to install them since it does not have the right
drivers. How did
> you get around this?
> Roy

Are you asking how to set your T21 to dual boot XP and 98? If so, you
have a problem with the Win98 Restore CD. It will format your HDD and do
a clean install of Win98. You will loose WinXP.

The Restore CD will install Win98SE and all of the drivers that were
current when the T21 was in production. It will also probably install
some additional software that was part of the original install.

Dual boot systems work best when you install the oldest programs first
for example: DOS, 95, 98, NT, Win2k, XP. That said, it sounds like you
don't have a WinXP CD. I suggest if you want to install Win98SE along
with XP, get a copy of Win98SE and a program like System Commander,
Partition Magic or one of the shareware boot manager/partitioning
programs. I've used System Commander for about 10 years now.

DO NOT put Win98SE in the same partition as XP!

Use XP Disk Management to create a partition for Win98SE and install the
boot management program in WinXP.

Go to the IBM website and D/L all of the drivers that you might need for
Win98 and copy them to the HDD in a folder called Drivers:

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?ln...

Backup XP if you can and do all of the safety operations you will need
to do in case the Win98SE installation goes bad.

There is a possibility that you could create a Win98SE partition and
then hide the XP partition with System Commander before you install
Win98SE. You might be able to get by with the Recovery CD but it's very
risky ( I would try it myself because I can make a Ghost copy on a SCSI
tape drive. If things got screwed up then I could easily do a restore).

To answer you questions about drivers for you DVD & CD players, XP SP2
has built in drivers for most recent components as another poster
suggested.

Hope that this helps.

Chas.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 4:40:36 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:18:48 -0400, "Roy Brown"
<roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:

>I'm having troubles finding the right XP drivers for my DVD and CDRW/DVD combo
>drives. I've got them both working after installing a 3rd party software BUT XP
>keeps wanting to install them since it does not have the right drivers. How did
>you get around this?

I'm not Chas, but I can tell you that no drivers are required for
using optical drives in a T21 under Windows XP. You can add third
party software for watching DVD movies, or for burning CDs. But no
drivers are required.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 4:40:37 AM

"Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
| On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:18:48 -0400, "Roy Brown"
| <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:
|
| >I'm having troubles finding the right XP drivers for my DVD and CDRW/DVD
combo
| >drives. I've got them both working after installing a 3rd party software BUT
XP
| >keeps wanting to install them since it does not have the right drivers. How
did
| >you get around this?
|
| I'm not Chas, but I can tell you that no drivers are required for
| using optical drives in a T21 under Windows XP. You can add third
| party software for watching DVD movies, or for burning CDs. But no
| drivers are required.

Thanks,

Does that mean I can safely select the box that says "Don't prompt me again to
install this software" when the Found New Hardware Wizard finally says it cannot
install the hardware it finds on every boot? I'm assuming it will then stop
asking and the drives will continue to work.

Roy
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 2:29:15 AM

| "Roy Brown" <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote in message
| > Chas,
| > Maybe you can help me. Since you are running a T20 on dual boot.
| > I've got a T21 with full fresh install of XP SP2. The previous owner
| wiped the
| > HD before installing XP. I've also got the original W98 SE restore CD.
| >
| > I'm having troubles finding the right XP drivers for my DVD and
| CDRW/DVD combo
| > drives. I've got them both working after installing a 3rd party
| software BUT XP
| > keeps wanting to install them since it does not have the right
| drivers. How did
| > you get around this?
| > Roy
|
| Are you asking how to set your T21 to dual boot XP and 98? If so, you
| have a problem with the Win98 Restore CD. It will format your HDD and do
| a clean install of Win98. You will loose WinXP.
|
| The Restore CD will install Win98SE and all of the drivers that were
| current when the T21 was in production. It will also probably install
| some additional software that was part of the original install.
|
| Dual boot systems work best when you install the oldest programs first
| for example: DOS, 95, 98, NT, Win2k, XP. That said, it sounds like you
| don't have a WinXP CD. I suggest if you want to install Win98SE along
| with XP, get a copy of Win98SE and a program like System Commander,
| Partition Magic or one of the shareware boot manager/partitioning
| programs. I've used System Commander for about 10 years now.
|
| DO NOT put Win98SE in the same partition as XP!
|
| Use XP Disk Management to create a partition for Win98SE and install the
| boot management program in WinXP.
|
| Go to the IBM website and D/L all of the drivers that you might need for
| Win98 and copy them to the HDD in a folder called Drivers:
|

| http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?ln...
|
| Backup XP if you can and do all of the safety operations you will need
| to do in case the Win98SE installation goes bad.
|
| There is a possibility that you could create a Win98SE partition and
| then hide the XP partition with System Commander before you install
| Win98SE. You might be able to get by with the Recovery CD but it's very
| risky ( I would try it myself because I can make a Ghost copy on a SCSI
| tape drive. If things got screwed up then I could easily do a restore).
|
| To answer you questions about drivers for you DVD & CD players, XP SP2
| has built in drivers for most recent components as another poster
| suggested.
|

| Hope that this helps.
|
| Chas.

Thanks Chas.

Actually I've got both CD's. The T21 came with XP installed but no CD and a 98SE
sticker and Key on the bottom. I then purchased a full Win XP with key to make
it legal and hopefully find the drivers. Also got the SP2 CD from Micro$oft..
That did not cut it - so I tracked down an IBM Win98 restore CD on eBay as well
as a CD for the DVD.

I've been thinking of getting a bigger HD. So with your instructions, I'll try
creating a dual boot on the newer drive keeping the old drive intact just in
case.

BTW it does not matter how many times I tell Win XP not to ask to install the
software for the Combo IV drive it still keeps asking. Any suggestions

--
Roy
rem NADA to reply

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:18:01 -0400, "Roy Brown"
<roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:

>"Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>| On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:18:48 -0400, "Roy Brown"
>| <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:
>|
>| >I'm having troubles finding the right XP drivers for my DVD and CDRW/DVD
>combo
>| >drives. I've got them both working after installing a 3rd party software BUT
>XP
>| >keeps wanting to install them since it does not have the right drivers. How
>did
>| >you get around this?
>|
>| I'm not Chas, but I can tell you that no drivers are required for
>| using optical drives in a T21 under Windows XP. You can add third
>| party software for watching DVD movies, or for burning CDs. But no
>| drivers are required.
>|

>Thanks,
>
>Does that mean I can safely select the box that says "Don't prompt me again to
>install this software" when the Found New Hardware Wizard finally says it cannot
>install the hardware it finds on every boot? I'm assuming it will then stop
>asking and the drives will continue to work.

I've installed Windows XP from scratch on a T21 and XP never asked to
install drivers for the DVD drive in the UltraBay 2000. However, the
drive was in place when XP was first installed and so the setup
program would have installed the correct drivers on the initial
install. The drivers should be the standard Microsoft drivers
cdrom.sys, imapi.sys and the like. Any third party drivers you might
need for the system are available from IBM. They include the video
driver, power management, battery utility, etc., but not any CD or DVD
drivers.

If you added the optical drives after the initial installation, then
XP may ask to install drivers. I would simply let it go ahead, but be
sure that it installs the Microsoft drivers and not something else. If
these drives are in a USB enclosure, then XP will want to install
drivers when the device is detected for the first time. Simply let it
install the drivers, but be sure the devices are correctly identified
and use the stock XP drivers.

One concern is that you stated that you installed some "third party
software." I have no idea what this might be or what problems it may
have created.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 3:00:26 AM

| On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:18:01 -0400, "Roy Brown"
| <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:
|

| >"Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
| >| On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:18:48 -0400, "Roy Brown"
| >| <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:
| >|
| >combo
BUT
| >XP
How
| >did
| >|
| >| I'm not Chas, but I can tell you that no drivers are required for
| >| using optical drives in a T21 under Windows XP. You can add third
| >| party software for watching DVD movies, or for burning CDs. But no
| >| drivers are required.
| >|

| >Thanks,
| >
| >Does that mean I can safely select the box that says "Don't prompt me again
| >install this software" when the Found New Hardware Wizard finally says it
cannot
| >install the hardware it finds on every boot? I'm assuming it will then stop
| >asking and the drives will continue to work.
|
| I've installed Windows XP from scratch on a T21 and XP never asked to
| install drivers for the DVD drive in the UltraBay 2000. However, the
| drive was in place when XP was first installed and so the setup
| program would have installed the correct drivers on the initial
| install. The drivers should be the standard Microsoft drivers
| cdrom.sys, imapi.sys and the like. Any third party drivers you might
| need for the system are available from IBM. They include the video
| driver, power management, battery utility, etc., but not any CD or DVD
| drivers.
|
| If you added the optical drives after the initial installation, then
| XP may ask to install drivers. I would simply let it go ahead, but be
| sure that it installs the Microsoft drivers and not something else. If
| these drives are in a USB enclosure, then XP will want to install
| drivers when the device is detected for the first time. Simply let it
| install the drivers, but be sure the devices are correctly identified
| and use the stock XP drivers.
|
| One concern is that you stated that you installed some "third party
| software." I have no idea what this might be or what problems it may
| have created.

Thanks Gary

The 3rd party software provided the DVD decoders which are not included in
Windows XP. I tried using the IBM CD's to install the DVD decoder but they were
for Win98 and the new hardware wizard would not accept them.

I'm keeping your post and when I track down a bigger HD I will try creating a
dual boot using both yours and Chas's suggestions.

--
Roy
rem NADA to reply

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:48:27 -0400, "Roy Brown"
<roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote:

>| One concern is that you stated that you installed some "third party
>| software." I have no idea what this might be or what problems it may
>| have created.
>
>Thanks Gary
>
>The 3rd party software provided the DVD decoders which are not included in
>Windows XP. I tried using the IBM CD's to install the DVD decoder but they were
>for Win98 and the new hardware wizard would not accept them.

The DVD movie decoder shouldn't be a problem; it's not a driver but
simply an MPEG 2 decoder.
!