Re-installing windows 7 on a new motherboard

trotter94

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hello,

I am getting a new mobo (cpu and ram), what is the best way to re-install windows while keeping everything that is on my hard drive.

i have an OEM version of windows 7 so will have to get a new copy.

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
you dont have to get a new copy you will have to uae the telephone activation its easy as taking a piss so dont stresson that. just choose other ways to activate windows.

also if you want to keep everything as it already is best way i can say is use driver sweep and un install all drivers then shut down system and then replace mobo and then install it.

either that or fresh install will be best if im honest and just copy files to 2nd HDD if thats possible.

on the contrary Spoony, if the new board had a different chipset the copy of windows will likely be unstable on the new build (though there are rare occasions where it will work).

Just copy all your files to another HDD or flash drive, nuke the system drive, reinstall, and copy the files back. Obviously this will not work with programs.
You can move your OEM win7 to another machine. When I did my recent upgrade it never even asked me to call in and change things. But if it does you can explain your situation to the fine people at MS and they will transfer the license to the new machine for ya.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

[:briovaz:3]