Sign in with
Your question

So, I jumped from Nvidia to ATI... Need help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2011 4:11:43 AM

Greetings all.

As it is late I'll be short and sweet:

Old Rig:

Precision 490
2x 2.0Ghz Xeon
10GB PC2-5300F FB-DIMMS
BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS DDR3 512MB
Windows 7 (x64) Professional

New Rig:

Precision 490
2x 3.0Ghz Xeon
10GB PC2-5300F FB-DIMMS
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 8670 DDR5 1GB
Windows 7 (x64) Ultimate

I've mainly tossed in the faster processers (now allowing for Hyper Threading and SpeedStep) and upgraded the GPU.

However... I've seen no REAL improvement in FPS in my mainly played game - RIFT. I averaged about 25FPS on Ultra w/ Objects maxed. Doing the same GPU settings for the game w/ the new rig shows a MAX of about 5FPS difference, but the graphics, while looking a lot nicer, now tear a lot more and drop horridly when participating in Raids. The older setup/GPU did not do this... Call me quite disappointed in the jump to an ATI GPU.

I've disabled SpeedStep w/ no noticeable performance difference, but I can say that 3DMark's '03 version blows through any of their listed top 20 w/ ease. All the other editions I have run, Mark06 and Vantage, are DAMN high and impressive, but the game itself handles the new card for crap. A downfall of more modding needing to be done to properly setup the new rig/GPU or have people noticed that RIFT FPS kind of sucks as well?

As I am new to ATI cards, what are the basic settings you automatically change to optimize performance? Please keep in mind that I am not comfortable w/ jumping right into Overdrive, as my Nvidia card was not Tuned either, so it should, assumingly, by default, show a massive spike in FPS for the game...

Any help fellas'?

More about : jumped nvidia ati

April 13, 2011 1:35:42 PM

That's a good call. I DXDiaged the machine and just saw Direct X 11 listed. I didn't realize Rift, being a new release, would have been a Direct X 9 game. I'll try that after work. The other thought I had was related to MS Visual C++ 2008. I noticed that x64 Windows 7 installs the x86 version... So, I'll be updating that to the proper version tonight as well.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2011 3:05:59 PM

RIFT is most demanding MMORPG, and nVidia cards run most of MMORPGs better than AMD, RIFT isn't an exception, even the latest cards run RIFT with problems..
m
l
April 13, 2011 8:11:58 PM

Yeah, I have 30days. I'm thinking of ditching the ATI card. Unimpressed and I should have stuck w/ my gut...

-J.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 13, 2011 11:33:10 PM

I have an i7 920, with a 6970. I have everything maxed, the other day I noticed my FPS were rather low. After a little investigation, my MB bios set my CPU back to stock settings. I lost about 10 FPS by having my CPU running at 2.67 instead of at 3.4 GHz.

It would appear that Rift is very CPU demanding. I'd check with your CPU first.

As far as Nvidia doing better with Rift than AMD...I just did a quick google search on that, and it looks to be even, if not favoring AMD in terms of dollar for performance, as the 6870 normally is closest to a 460, and the 560 is usually closer to the 6950, etc.

http://www.dpigaming.com/rift-benchmark-ultra-quality/
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 2:38:49 AM

you mention screen tearing and such. enable vsync and enable tripple buffering in catalyst control centre to fix that. it will even out your FPS also.
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:56:13 PM

6870 is closest to 460 ? :lol:  maybe in price, but clearly not in performance, 6850 beats the 460 and 6870 is far ahead :lol:  probably 560 is closer to old 5870 not 6950, 6950 is like 5-10% better than 560 and it's only few percent ahead of 5870 :lol: 
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 14, 2011 3:20:58 PM

shrkbay said:
6870 is closest to 460 ? :lol:  maybe in price, but clearly not in performance, 6850 beats the 460 and 6870 is far ahead :lol:  probably 560 is closer to old 5870 not 6950, 6950 is like 5-10% better than 560 and it's only few percent ahead of 5870 :lol: 

I suppose depends on who you want to believe.

There are a few Nvidia fanboys on this site, who post a lot of benchmarks comparing the two, and the benchmarks they are always showing are not exactly as you paint it.

As far as your belief, that is about what you see in the benchmarks of Rift (you are under and over in different comparisons), meaning it's pretty neutral, which is why I said it was pretty much even for each brand, but due to what certain people post for their benchmarks comparisons, it would suggest it favored AMD if anything.
m
l
April 15, 2011 9:03:30 AM

^ if you compare AMD cards to the similary priced nVidia cards, then you'd see big performance difference, AMD cards bring you more performance for less, but they have their own mistakes

also the nVidia cards are better on most of MMORPGs

m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 15, 2011 3:35:24 PM

shrkbay said:
^ if you compare AMD cards to the similary priced nVidia cards, then you'd see big performance difference, AMD cards bring you more performance for less, but they have their own mistakes

also the nVidia cards are better on most of MMORPGs

Again, I showed the same chart, price per performance, that seems pretty even. It doesn't include 570's closely priced counterpart, the 6970, which would likely be very close based on the 6950 numbers.

I know WoW favors Nvidia a lot, but that does not mean all MMO's are that way, nor Rift.

His numbers are much lower than the 6870 numbers in that list. His problem is his CPU. It's at a very low GHz. From actually experience, going from 3.4 down to 2.6GHz caused me to lose about 10 FPS. His is even slower.
m
l
a c 80 Î Nvidia
April 15, 2011 7:37:11 PM

shrkbay said:
catalyst does not agree with you:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6950_1_GB/17....

it shows that AMD beats nVidia in comparisions between closely priced cards

Well then, things have changed with the latest expansion. I guess that makes your statement that MMO's prefer Nvidia even less true.
m
l
April 16, 2011 10:00:24 AM

WoW isn't the only MMO available, but Catalyst and Rift probably run better on AMD
m
l
!