Closed Solved

I want to conver 2 usb 3.0 pass-through to a 20 pin USB 3.0 mobo

OK, I bought a Corsair Obsidian 650D which comes with 2 USB 3.0 front connector; however, these USB 3.0 connectors in the case only provide a USB pass-through cable. I have seen several USB 3.0 to 20 pin adapters, but I want to get people's opinions. I really want to buy the best solution for this problem. I can't believe that after paying $140 for this case, I get such type of connections instead of the proper 20 pin USB 3.0 connector to the motherboard. In advance, thanks for everyone's help here.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about conver pass through mobo
  1. I bought a Corsair 600T, same deal with the pass-throughs. I got the USB 3 20pin Mobo to (2) USB3 splitter. ran it behind motherboard and hooked the 2 USB plugs to USB3 front panel connector and a USB(2) 320GB HDD (WD passbook I think) to the other and mounted it behind MB as a Windows image backup drive.
    Works great and out of sight-out of mind.
  2. jimmyd1964 said:
    I bought a Corsair 600T, same deal with the pass-throughs. I got the USB 3 20pin Mobo to (2) USB3 splitter. ran it behind motherboard and hooked the 2 USB plugs to USB3 front panel connector and a USB(2) 320GB HDD (WD passbook I think) to the other and mounted it behind MB as a Windows image backup drive.
    Works great and out of sight-out of mind.

Thanks for your comments, but I'm trying to find a different solution. Let me see if I understand your solution better to see if I can implement one similarly.
  3. Well I 'do' understand exactly what you mean and what you want, the short answer is 'A' Adapter or 'B' Pass-through -- or 'C' separate head unit (USB 3.0/20-pin) in the 5-1/4".

Corsair 'should' offer a replacement or reconfigure it's USB 3.0 options.

I 'wish' Corsair had something like this (550D) but they don't - http://www.corsair.com/us/parts/case-parts/obsidian-series-550d-i-o-panel-replacement-with-all-cables.html
  4. jaquith said:
    Well I 'do' understand exactly what you mean and what you want, the short answer is 'A' Adapter or 'B' Pass-through -- or 'C' separate head unit (USB 3.0/20-pin) in the 5-1/4".

Corsair 'should' offer a replacement or reconfigure it's USB 3.0 options.

I 'wish' Corsair had something like this (550D) but they don't - http://www.corsair.com/us/parts/case-parts/obsidian-series-550d-i-o-panel-replacement-with-all-cables.html

I agree that Corsair should have sold me a case with a front panel ready for 20 pin usb 3.0 instead of the stupid pass-through usb 3.0 I got. Thanks for placing that link and for your input.
  5. I understand your frustration with the pass-through situation. I have the Corsair 600T and it is the same.
    I knew when I ordered it about the pass-through so I ordered the (Uspeed 2-port USB 3.0 hub with USB 3.0 19-Pin Adapter Cable 2 Ft (0.6M) )
    It works great , I plugged one to the front panel USB3 which is a 2 into 1 plug and the other i used inside the case for a backup drive (USB) which I placed behind the Mobo tray. Then the other end goes to the Mobo 19 pin USB plug.
    So I ended up with an extra USB-3 by doing this. Worked for me , because like you I didn't want a pass-thru. In my 600T case you only see the USB 19 pin cable going behind the mobo so it works out pretty clean.
  6. My cable (above) is no longer on Amazon but a shorter one about 3 1/2 " long is on newegg. Still might work. Plug in mobo and go behind with it. Link below.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162012
    AT least you get the idea to work with.
  7. I don't like the 3 1/2 inch one. But the 2ft one works good.
  8. Best answer
    HDE (TM) 2 Port USB 3.0 A Female to 20 Pin Y Cable It is 10.5 inches long (better)
    Search for this one on Amazon or follow link below to the page:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Port-USB-Female-Cable/dp/B00695M56M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339790079&sr=8-1&keywords=HDE+%28TM%29+2+Port+USB+3.0+A+Female+to+20+Pin+Y+Cable
  9. ^ The HDE cable probably will look the best and tuck the 'rest' in the back an out of sight.
  10. Best answer selected by orestesdd.
  11. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Cases USB3 Corsair Product