Crossfire =/= Dual Monitors?

JustinEVGA

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hey community, just wanted to ask a question.
I'm planning to get a second 6950, if I ever actually even get the first one.
I have a 24" monitor run at 1920x1200 for my main monitor (gaming, editing, and all main tasks), and an old 15" (estimating) monitor from Dell at whatever resolution for other really small tasks such as having my instant messengers there, a website with information to the maintask I'm doing, and general things for multitasking so I don't have to window games or alt-tab.

I wanted to know that if I am able to have Crossfired 6950s and use both monitors. Also, will the 6950s put most of their work onto the main monitor or would have even performance on both thus making the point of having two 6950s kind of useless. Thanks.

If there are questions they will be answered.

Solution
You don't need two cards to use two monitors. The HD6950 supports up to 6 monitors on its own. If you get a second anyway when in crossfire mode the cards work in conjunction, not with one card for one monitor and the other card for the other. An extra low res non-gaming monitor should give only a very small hit to gaming performance on the main monitor.

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
You don't need an extra 6950 as it is good enough for full HD.
I'm assuming that other monitor runs at 1024*768 or less.
You'll be fine.
If you do need an extra boost you can always get one later.
They are going for cheap.

JustinEVGA

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Well yeah, that was what I was planning. The second 6950 would be used for extra fps in later titles, but I was just wondering if I can have a second monitor running, but have the Crossfired 6950s working on the main monitor.

You don't need two cards to use two monitors. The HD6950 supports up to 6 monitors on its own. If you get a second anyway when in crossfire mode the cards work in conjunction, not with one card for one monitor and the other card for the other. An extra low res non-gaming monitor should give only a very small hit to gaming performance on the main monitor.

Solution