Nintendo DS Region-Free

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

News: Japanese Nintendo DS
By Dennis - Nov 30th 2004 16:02
----
Almost everything was expected to be like this, but now we've got
confirmation about the Japanese Nintendo DS.
Online reseller Play-Asia has received a first batch of Japanese Nintendo DS
units 3 days prior to the official release and checked for various rumours.

As earlier announced and confirmed by Nintendo, the Japanese Nintendo DS
also features a multi-lingual interface. You will be able to switch the
language between English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese.
Take note that the default language is set on 'Japanese'. The language
option applies to all internal DS functions, including the built-in
Pictochat application.

Play-Asia also tested for region coding. Playing American games on a
Japanese DS worked perfectly, thus we can assume that the Nintendo DS is
indeed region-free. According to the company, the same compatibility has
been announced for the upcoming Asian as well as European DS models and
games.

The next possible incompatibility could possibly exist for the wireless
connections. Testing a link between a Japanese DS and a US version brought
positive results. Despite earlier rumours, you can link consoles from
different regions without any problems. The feature was tested using
Pictochat as well as Super Mario 64 DS.

The only real difference noticed between the US and Japanese version of the
Nintendo DS was the lack of a Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt demo.

Play-Asia claims to have sufficient supply available to satisfy the demand,
no sold-out signs are expected.

Source: Play-Asia and gba.n64europe.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> The only real difference noticed between the US and Japanese version of the
> Nintendo DS was the lack of a Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt demo.

8-O

Damn me for going japanese!