mikehockey27

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hey,
I recently posted a thread asking people if my GPU needed to be updated in order to play SCII smoothly. I was told that my CPU needed to be upgraded and that my motherboard should support the new AM3 processors if I get the available flash update.

here is the original thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=326169&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

So i updated my bios and bought the new AMD phenom II x4 955

I installed it today and I am getting a mere 800MHZ core clock speed (supposed to get 3.2ghz)

I have no idea what is wrong.

this processor uses the same wattage as my old phenom 2.3 ghz quad core, so I dont think its a power issue.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Mike

4gb gaming ram Corsair
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Sapphire Radeon 4850
biostar TA790gx3 A2+
rosewill 500w PSU

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
got me too. 800mhz is a number i haven't heard in forever. I guess first i'd try the resetting everything with the clear cmos jumper. then making very sure everything is plugged in nice and tight. Then checking all your bios settings. But thats all really, i don't know what to do trouble shooting square 1.

Can you get a cpu-z screenshot cause i'd love to see that personally.

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
your multiplier is stuck at 4x running prime95, there is your problem. And your core voltage seems unusually low. get them both where they should be in the bios. off hand i think the vcore is 1.35 and i'm not sure what the multi is on them, probally between 13.5 and 15.5. i'm sure someone under me will know for sure.

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Why dosen't it? someone messed up somewhere its seeing your cpu as a 955 its just not setting it right. However the same thing applies with the new cpu-z screenshot, low core voltage low multiplier. reboot go into the bios, find the cpu core voltage set it to 1.35 find the multiplier and crank it up till you get to 3.2ghz (getting out my calculator should be 16x)

mikehockey27

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
ugh..i didnt even see that page when i looked at my mobo... I just followed what someone told me on here and check specs such as cpu wattage support and the fact that i could use am3 socket with the bios update...
Does anyone know the suggested changes I should make, like exact values...I have no idea how to mess with that stuff...

larkspur

Distinguished
Here is your answer:

From wikipedia: Some top-level AM3 processors (x945 125W, x955 and x965) require a special power-supply feature, often called "dual power-plane". It's supported by default in all native AM3 mainboards, however not in most AM2+ mainboards, even those advertised as "AM3 optimised" or "AM3 ready". Processor running below its nominal speed (i.e. at 800 MHz), clock and multiplier locked are symptoms of this incompatibility. This is caused by the processor itself: when it detects that the motherboard does not supply dual power planes, the chip locks its multiplier to 4x. This issue is not resolvable via BIOS update; however, users of AM2 and AM2+ motherboards can still use Phenom II processors excluding the 125 watt variants.

Source: http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=319&threadid=119976&highlight_key=y&keyword1=dual%20power%20plane

Sounds like you may have received bad advice.

Not correct it states the 95watt version of the 945! The only phenom II parts at 125 watts are the AM2+ versions 940 and 920.

larkspur

Distinguished

I haven't built an AMD system in a over a decade, so I can't give you specific advice. I wouldn't necessarily give up without trying some BIOS adjustments. You need to enter the BIOS (by pressing a keyboard key during bootup (it might by the delete key or one of the F keys - usually it'll say somewhere on the screen what key to press to enter the BIOS)). You need to try disabling any power-saving features (like Cool-n-Quiet or whatever they call it). Then you need to try to set your "CPU multiplier" to 16. To do so you probably need to change a "CPU speed" setting from "Auto" to "Manual" and then set that multiplier to 16.

Like I said, I don't know your platform or BIOS so I can't help much more on specifics. I will say that IF that wiki entry that I quoted is correct, then the processor itself is locking itself at 800mhz and nothing can be done through the BIOS.

If nothing else works you can either: 1) Get an AM3 mobo or 2) Get a Phenom II other than the 945, 955 or 965... This time make sure it is listed on the mobo's supported CPU list.

mikehockey27

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
while I was waiting for replies I pulled the processor and put in the old one..

I will try to mess with the setting I guess on some other day. But I think it is the processor that is stopping me from getting the 3.2 ghz...

I will look into new mobos for now I guess...

rosenberg1979

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
sorry sorry after finally finding it again and reading closely he didn't end up successful with the amd overdrive suite. I kinda skimmed it the first time looking for some other piece of information, i thought it said he couldn't get a post in the bios but did with overdrive, when it was no to both. I'd still give it a wack if the bios doesn't work though.

As a final option could you rma it for a 95w 945? rather then buy a new mobo and ram?